Wharfie replacement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MattTheCat, Jan 19, 2003.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to replace my Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts with standmounters because I find the fronts boomy even away from the wall and will get a good sub to cater with bass.

I have 8.1 rears. Are these to directional for rear effects?

Open to suggestions. I listen mostly to music through an SR6200 with source direct on.

Matt

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    couple of things first- the 8.3s are very good speakers, although only if:
    1 They have their supplied plinths on
    2 They are biwired with the correct cable- QED Silv anniversary may be adequate, but I'd be looking at the Nordost Flatline league if I were you- not quite as much bass, but a clearer sound and much more detailed treble and mid.
    3 They are filled- and I mean really **** off heavy- get some big plastic bags and fill them with sand- make them pratically unliftable- thats when the mass is correct
    If all else fails, by all means get a sub, but unless you get a good (i.e. no less than MJA) you're going to have an even bigger bass boom problem.

Also check your interconnecting leads on the Marantz reciever- again, like the Nordost speaker wire above, the QED Qunex range is a little bass light IMO so may solve the problem

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks rozzar. I've got Silver Anniversary cable into them, although not bi-wire due to costs :(

I went with What HiFi's advice and didnt fill them at all, for what they said would give the optimum sound. It wouldn't surprise me if they were wrong lol.

How does filling them change the sound?

I already own a Paradigm PS1000, which I'm not too hapy with for musical quality, and was looking at either a Servo or CHT-10.

Thanks, Matt

4. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How do you find the 8.1's perform as rears? I'm considering using 3 pairs and having them as my fronts, rears and front and rear centre. (with a sub)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Matt,

Biwiring is an invention of cable manufacturers to sell more cable and you won't solve your problem by wasting more money on cables.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    If apart from the booming bass you like the sound of the 8.3 ... and especially if you have a Wharfdale 8.centre or whatever it's called ... have you thought of trying a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 on stands?

Victoria

7. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just done some repositioning, and there is less boom, and although I like the sound I find it too warm and not a particularly exciting listen. Would the SR4200 be the cause of this?

Mixmanx - Go for the 8.1s. They are fabulous speakers with a wonderful soundstage, especially in a fairly small room. You won't be disappointed!

Matt

8. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info, they are going in a small room - I perticularly want something with the port on the front to avoid bass problems as all four main speakers will be in the corner of the room.

unbeatable have them at about £90 a pair, I think that's the best price around?

:)

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    The SR5200 is reasonable for stereo ... but like you describe the SR4200 ... isn't exactly exciting for stereo music. As well as looking at replacements for the 8.3 ... if music is important have a look at some of the 2 ch integrated amps avaliable - think NAD C320 / C350 / C370, Rotel RA01 / RA02 (same as RA01 but with remote) / RA1060 and possibly Arcam A65+ / A75+ - the low end of this lot is around £200 for the RA01 and NAD C320 rising to £550 for the A75+ and Rotel RA1060. All these will give you a dramatic improvement in sound for stereo and allow you to use the "pre-outs" for front left and right for AV use.

Victoria

10. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you go to richer sounds and take a print out of their web page, you should be able to get a pair of 8.2's for £100.

As you probably know they are slightly bigger than the 8.1's, but i think they are great speakers, in fact i have them as my front's and rears along with the diamond 8 centre.

A good sounding setup at a reasonable price IMHO.

11. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    They've gone back up to £149