Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

wharfedalediamond

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mangomusic, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mangomusic

mangomusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi evry body!this is my very first posting...thanks!hope you all are having a good read.last week i brought WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 .4 floor standers.i am really not getting that OOMP... does any one has got the same?can you please share the experience with me.it will be very helpful as i don't know waht to do.and i have to go abroad next week till april,and it will be left with my wife.she is asking me to return it.but i am not sure.what should i do..??please help. :suicide: :lease:

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ive heard the 9.4s on a Marantz pm7200 amp and they gelled very well. I'd suggest maybe looking at one of those, or at least saying what amp you're using....

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I've heard the 9.4's and they did seem to have 'oomp' to my ears, even though they felt slightly flat at higher volumes. What are you using to run the 9.4's?

4. phattanglo

phattanglo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are they in phase?

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Diamond 9.4s!?! Makes me realise how old my Diamond IIs must be. Time to save up for some new speakers.

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Assuming there are not any problems ie phase issues, often the best way to get more omph would be to upgrade the power amp.

7. mangomusic

mangomusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI guys!
    Many many thanks for all the comments.so good to know that you will be noticed.gr8.thanks!i am using the wharfedale diamond 9.4 with NAD 350 and MARANTZ CD5400.but not very happy with tem.will it improve as the time goes?does any body got them?my CELESTION F30 was good.i gave it to my mother in law.she is very happy and i am jelous of her.will my speakers will improve?i don't understand what meant by..PHASE?thanks and cheers!

8. phattanglo

phattanglo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speakers wired so speaker drivers move out at the same time and in at the same time.
    If they're out of phase i.e 1 speaker going out and 1 going in they cancel each other out and you tend to lose your bass.
    So positive to positive and negative to negative.
    Or something like that! :thumbsup:

9. mangomusic

mangomusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!everybody,thanks for al your help.i have decided to get rid of the 9.4 and will buy some good speakers later.still i am not very happy to get rid of them.they look cool.but sound is not very satisfactory.thanks for all the help.cheers!should i go for 9.1 any recommendation? ...cheers!

10. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard them with a NAD T753 and liked them very much...!

For the price they are awesome, and lots of good bass!
    I think you can get more detail at the price, but with monitors and much less bass.

11. rombi

rombi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently aquired the 9.4 and 9.1 modles as part of a package deal, long with the centre speaker. At first i was a bit hesitant as the 9.4 received only 3/5 in a What Hi-Fi group test. While auditioning both in store i could understand exactly where the reviewer was coming from (claiming that the 9.1 on a good stand would leave the 9.4 dead). The salesman reasures me that both had been run in for over a month so my concern about run in is soon seen to. Somehow the 9.4 seems not to project the sound out and at you, but the sound somehow seemes to get lost within the speaker enclosure. this leaves me puzzled. How could Wharfedale get it so wrong. the 9.1 is singing whereas the9.4 is struggling to breath probaly.

it then dawns on me that these are floorstanders designed for small (smaller) rooms (only one mid/bass driver, as oppose to the 2 on the 9.5 and 9.6).

Well, where is the obvious place to place a floorstander in a small room? Well the corners is where most people would squeeze it in. So to the corners they go and WOW. The once timid 9.4 are transformed. The bass seems to appear form nowhere, suddenly there's a soundstage where there there once was almost none. Now after spending what now seems an eternity in forums like these little honeys contradictes everything I thought I had learnd about speaker placement.

It seems that the guys at wharfedale actually got the sums right after all. Floorstander + small room = corner placement = 9.4 = floorstander for small room. :thumbsup: :smashin:

I am now a hugely satisfied and proud owner of both the 9.1 and 9.4.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. joe dancy

joe dancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, i have bought 9.4 speakers, have read responses with intrest! room i have is average size. they will run through musical fidelity b1 amp,bi wired, of course! mmm saw review in what hi fi, after i bought them, they said bad things! got them in context of previous review 9.2. rave reviews. cant understand how 9.4 got slated yet 9.2 were loved? predicament,should i burn them on bonfire? am i a slave to reviewers? i rang wharfdale,to ask for clarification. nice guy there told me what hi fi audition rooms were small, so hence prediliction for smaller speakers. he also mentioned that a review in the states said that 9.4`s were brilliant. i felt reassured, i havent played them yet, as my kids are coming at the weekend. and i dont want the tweeters pushed in.one of them has done in my b&w 610`s thats why the new speakers! bless there cotton socks. regards