Wharfedale Vanguards

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by simono23, Jun 21, 2015.

1. simono23

simono23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope somebody can give me a bit of info about these old wharfedale floorstanders. There is a bit of info to be had by searching the usual channels, although a lot more comes up about the "E" series. I believe the Vanguards were made after the "E" 90's and wanted to know peoples thoughts/opinions about them. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. simono23

simono23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody ???? :censored::censored:

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I have no direct experience, but I did stumble across this in a post about the Vanguard. Apparently they were pretty good.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=687719

"Were the flagship speakers from Wharfedale back in the late 80s early 90s - these are the Vanguards which I still own and which still thump a lot of so called hi-fi speakers. At 95db sensitive running mostly at 10ohm they are easy to drive and can play to a rather impressive 120dB and are 40hz to 23khz

I think some might be surprised by the ole E-70 and Vanguard today and I'd have liked to see an updated model with better parts just to see what could be done with them versus many of the slim multiple stacked speakers today.

The Vanguard was a rather dramatically improved version of the E-70..."

Apparently easy to drive with high output, and seeming pretty good sound quality since they were an improved version of a previous speaker. And the guy in this quote post calls them the Flagship models

Do you have a pair, or do you have an opportunity to get a pair? What prompted your inquiry?

If you are looking at a used pair, then the concerns are the condition of the Surrounds which are those soft rings that connect the Cone to the Frame. If they are rubber, they are probably in good shape, but if those rings are foam, they could be starting to deteriorate. If you touch the surrounds and they feel gritty or crumble, then they are deteriorating. The good new is, it is not that hard or that expensive to replace the surround rings with new.

The other concern is the crossovers, depending on what type of capacitors they used, they could be losing their value and deteriorating. Though that is very variable. I have crossovers and bass drivers from the 1980's that are still in pristine condition, yet I've seen many speakers that have substantially deteriorated. However, if the value on the Crossover capacitors is marked. Then they can be replaced with better non-electrolytic versions, so that's not an insurmountable problem.

You may find some YouTube videos that demo the Vanguard, I know there are videos on the Wharfedale E70 and E90 speakers, that could give you some vague sense of how these speakers sound and the general quality.

Bearing in mind that about 1 out of 20 YouTube video is even watchable.

Wharfedale E 90 Loudspeakers.

Steve/bluewizard

4. simono23

simono23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, thanks Steve/bluewizard.
    Have actually bought them now and they seem to be in good nick and sound even better. They are definitely on the large side!