Wharfedale SW150 line out crossed over?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hugh9191, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm recently got a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers which I'm very impressed with. They sound awesome when listening to music. However when watching films or listening to music with lots of bass I do feel the overall sound would benefit from a sub.

I'm looking mainly at the Wharfedale SW150 as I feel it would compliment the diamonds nicely and it's only £170!

The problem with doing this though is that my amp doesn't have a dedicated sub out. The amp is a QED A240CD (old but nice) and does have a preamp out.

What I would like to know is if the line out on the back of the sub is post crossover and takes out the lows or if it is full range. If it's crossed over I can just take the output from my computer (the source I'd really want the sub for) into the sub and then from the sub into my amp with no problems.

If that's not the case the only other option (without buying more gear) that I can see is to just plug the sub into the preamp out on my amp and set the crossover to a low level (like 50hz - the bottom point of the diamonds).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hugh

2. Movieman21

Movieman21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have just bought the SW150 after using a rel q50 for 15 yrs, and price not even brought into the situation i am in awe of the thing, the bass this produces is nothing short of spectacuala and this is coming from a 12" REL that cost £380 15 yrs ago, i would still think the same at the first retail price of £250 but now being £169.99 its a steel.