Wharfedale SW12

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gary5, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has any1 any experience with this relatively new subwoofer?? I have a Sony STRDN1080 av receiver with wharfedale diamond 11.CS Centre. 11.5 Fronts and 11.0 surrounds. I'm now looking at what subwoofer to buy for 50/50 music movies. I did want a monolith but it's to big for my corner..the wharfedale Sw12 would be the perfect size...
    Also what are the differences between sealed and ported. I was also looking at bk xxl400

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Forget the Wharfedale, for 499£ there is better choices definitely! :) Check out new model BK P12-300SB-PR if you want compact sized sub which will outperform XXLS400;

Customers have always been interested in the performance of the 300W Monolith Subwoofer, but some have been put of by the size. To get close to the performance of the Monolith we have designed the P12-300SB-PR a 50 litre enclosure incorporating a 12" driven element and a 12" passive radiator making a drive area of a massive 17".

Platinum P12300-SB

Good general information about sealed vs. ported designs;
    Sealed vs. Ported Subwoofers

If you want something tad smaller than Monolith, but better performing (12.17) ported subwoofer then check out XTZ 17 serie subwoofers; Test winning subwoofers from XTZ

3. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks gasp. I'm really like the look of the platinum p12300sb.... And it's cheaper...

The xtz would fit in my space 400x400 max on width and depth The height doesn't matter... Which would you say go for between the bk and xtz

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    How large room you have there, any openings?

You said it would fit in your space. Have you tried any subwoofer in that placement you are putting it in? Sounds fine? I am against the idea putting the subwoofer where it fits / looks best vs. trying it in couple places first to see where it sounds best. But generally speaking front corner should be quite safe spot often and most manufacturers recommends to try that first.

XTZ 12.17 will outperform BK sub, cause i don`t believe P12-300SB-PR matching Monolith under 30hz (50L vs. 95L cabinet), passive radiator will help extending the low freq response deeper but having large cabinet with large port is still king when talking about output in lowest frequencies. Will that matter for person is up to him. How close it can get to Mono we can only guess at this point as BK doesn`t reveal any real world measurements. Notice the words; " To get close to the performance of the Monolith "

Looking at the measurements XTZ 12.17 outperforms Monolith especially upwards from 30hz. As the owners says, it punches hard! Do not get me wrong i think the new BK model is the right answer for many people who need compact sized and budget friendly subwoofer which will shrink the gap between XXLS400 and Monolith for same money. There is not yet owners experiences as it came like couple weeks ago. For XTZ there is lot of user feedback from all over Europe if you do some digging..

Coming back to corner placement.. Seeing you have Sony receiver and it`s subwoofer eq capabilites are little question mark. Meaning subwoofer might sound tad boomy there, but in XTZs case it has eq and port tuning options (3+4) to possibly help with that. Scroll down the 12.17 link for more detailed information about those.

Only white option seems to be available at this moment, so you would have to call them when they get black (matte/gloss) ones more if those are what you are after as 17 serie has been so popular in Europe, they are sold out all the time in UK.

I have had good experience with BK subwoofer and know people who loves them. In the end it´s your decision is the XTZ worth 150£ more. Main thing is that you forget the Wharfedale sub! ;)

5. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks again..yes subwoofer in this corner sounds perfect I've had a wharfedale sw150 in my last setup..I've tried the sub in many different places and it seems to sound worse my room is approx 7x5 meters so quite a big room it's open plan dining and living room. The Sony amp is just temporary I got it 2 months ago to get me up and running. After subwoofer I will upgrade to pioneer or onkyo as I want 5.1.4..

6. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    In that case you'll be impressed with virtually anything, I had one of those Wharfedale's for a couple of weeks and it's total garbage. Replaced it with the single driver version of the P12 and it's awesome, as my internal organs will testify to after watching Rampage and Ready Player One at the weekend, the PR version must be amazing if you want to spend the extra.

7. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the sw150 was OK but then again it's the only sub I've ever had in a HC. Anyway I've decided to go for the XTZ 12.17