Wharfedale SW-150 electrical hum on power on

ThatGumYouLike

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Just yesterday I received a brand new Wharfedale SW-150 subwoofer to replace a DX-2 sub that was no longer powering on.

After plugging it in, I noticed there's a very low electrical hum. It's not overly audible, and wouldn't be noticable if listening to the system at a loud volume, but as someone who often watches TV at night when the rest of the family are in bed, it's quite noticeable above the TV volume when the volume is down low.

It happens regardless of whether it's plugged into the receiver (Denon AVR-x2400h) or not, and does not fluctuate based on the volume, crossover, phase or auto-sense setting of the sub. In short, it's there so long as the power is switched on on the sub. I've also tried it on a few different sockets around the house and it's the same.

Should I contact the retailer for a replacement, or is this standard for this sub? (I did not have a similar hum off the previous Wharfedale DX-2 sub.)

I would contact your dealer if I were you. Even if it was normal, which I doubt, you won’t un-hear it now and it will just annoy you. Try a replacement first and if it’s the same look at a different brand.

Could be electrical interference I have the same subwoofer and don’t notice any hum,if you’ve got it connected to a surge protector plug it could be that try another one if you can if you find it still doing the same thing then contact the retailer the SW150 does have a few known issue like going dead after having it not that long,that’s what happened to mine and I sent it for repair

Just to update on this (rather late) - received a replacement from AV.com and it was MUCH better. There is still a hum that is audible when you put your ear to the unit, but it’s inaudible anywhere else in the room. A vast improvement on the first unit I received.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom