wharfedale surround

cdsaredead

Standard Member
Reaction score
help plz

Are Wharfedale Modus cube speakers any good?
ive just bought myself the diamond 220s as my main front speakers & was wondering if the Modus cubes would be suitable as rear surrounds?

Personally I would want the same make and model for all the speakers.

OK I appreciate that but are the Modus actually any good? Money's tight & I picked them up cheap from ebay

The Modus are very tiny speakers, and VERY low cost speakers -

Wharfedale Modus Cube Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Now it is possible that there is something unique about your circumstances that demands tiny speakers like this, and there might be something about your budget that demands tiny low-cost speakers like this. But, if circumstances do NOT demand that size and that price, then don't do it.

The Diamond 220 are the standard 5" Bookshelf speaker. This is the Wharfedale Diamond mainstay speaker.

These is a smaller Diamond 210 speaker that is primarily for Surround Sound -

Wharfedale Diamond 210 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

W x H x D (mm): 143 x 232 x 170 (5.63" x 9.1" x 6.7")

Only you can determine whether that speaker will work for your circumstances.

So ... can you explain your circumstance?

What are the dimension of the room?

Where is the Prime Seat in the room?

Do you feel you need On-Wall speakers?

Do you have enough space for Surround on speaker stands?

Again, what will work for you is dependent on the demands of the situation.

I would not choose the MODUS unless there was no other choice. But if there is no other choice, then perhaps they will work for you.

It is all about the circumstances and the situation, and of course the BUDGET.

Steve/bluewizard

OK I appreciate that but are the Modus actually any good? Money's tight & I picked them up cheap from ebay

If you have them, then use them, and determine for yourself if they are sufficient to meet your needs.

They are a good brand name, but they are also a tiny single full-range (in a manner of speaking) driver speaker. There are what they are. Don't expect much from a single tiny driver, but certainly give them a try.

Steve/bluewizard

I know it's been a while since you posted this question, but as I was tempted to buy the modus a couple of times in the past, I'm now curious about how you find them compared to the diamonds.

However, regarding using tiny surround speakers, I can tell my own experience: I have myself a pair of 155's and the 101C for the central channel and until recently I've always looked for a pair of tiny surrounds with some degree of matching sound with the fronts. I only had a pair of Cambridge Lusso 10 for the rears (no matching sound whatsoever). Last week, I installed a bookshelf behind the couch and I'm now testing proper bookshelf speakers (some old Pioneers, and Tannoy Mercury v1). Even though they are not the matching speakers of the fronts in terms of timbre or sound signature, the difference with the little full-range speakers is huge!. I know it sounds quite obvious for most of you, but the more alike the speakers (even with the rears), the better. Even if they are used only for movies, you would feel a more inmersive experience because the sound will be more detailed and rich.

Now I'm looking to buy the 210's (easier to get as the 100's series is outdated).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom