1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lister, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Lister

Lister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

recently bought the following wharfedale speakers from QED for £393 incl. delivery. Wharfedale 8.4(front)/8(centre)/8.1(rear).
    This is my first set of surround sound speakers, and i'm absolutly
    amazed at the quality of the sound.......I can highly recommend them. Are there any other 8.4 owners out there and also what subwoofer would you recommend.

2. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually looking at the diamond 8.3 or diamond 8.4
    only tested them briefly in-store but i'm amazed at the great sound.. for the price.

still deciding between the 8.3 and 8.4s... not sure if i need the extra bass-element..

3. ajw000

ajw000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the diamond 8 pack from qed, which had the 8.3's in it, and Im pretty chuffed, wharfedale do a sub to match the diamond series, but ive heard mixed reactions to it(QED dont sell it but superfi do)
    Personally I sold my old sub and didnt bother getting another as I live in a small flat and the neighbours were complaining, you still get quite a lot of bass out of the 8.3's so the 8.4's must be pretty basstastic.
    The 8.1 rears blew me away though, I was watching daredevil last night and felt a big prolonged puff of air on my head, thinking it was someone blowing on me, then realised it was the speakers! They're exellent for the price...

4. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    shall we open a 'book' on how long it takes before the name Velodyne comes up?
    ooh do i win!!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It used to be said that the minimum price to be paid for a "real" subwoofer was £400 to £500 but there is no doubt that due to Velodyne's aggressive pricing, the CHT-10 has brought the entry price point lower.

Constant repetition may be boring but entry to the real subwoofer market begins at £325 with a Velodyne CHT-10 which punches low and hard and is available at this special price from You know who :D

6. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 8.3 screen pack from QED just over a year ago and have just bought another 8.1 to complete my 6.1 setup. Also bought a Velodyne CHT10 in March from you know who and its great. Many other good subs about but for the money Eric's selling them its gonna be hard to beat. Don't bother with the Wharfedale sub its OK for movies but the Velodyne will leave it for dead. Got a spare 8.1 (maple) if your'e interested?

7. Lister

Lister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Probably will opt for a Velodyne...but in the process of looking for a new house, will have too see what the neighbours are like.
    At the moment I live in a detached bungalow, so don't have any real problems with sound travelling. Anyone have any problems
    with using the home cinema system in the evening, as I like to crank it up a bit if I watching an action movie.

Would definitely be interested in the spare 8.1, PM me with the price......any chance of a demo of the Velodyne CHT10?