1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale rears advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gz5ztg, Mar 13, 2002.

1. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am now undecided what to do, I was going to get diamond 8.1s to use as rears in my system. I currently have 8.2s as stereo speakers.

However Wharfedale are about to bring out a diamond 8 version of their DFS rear bipole speakers.

Am I best to get these when they come out or get some diamond 8.1s? What are they advantages and disadvantages of both?

Cheers,

Mark.

Marantz SR4200
    Pioneer Dv-444
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

Bipoles are ideally suited to movies more than music. So depending on your priorities if your into movies more than multichannel music then go for the bipoles.

If you like multichannel music more then go for monopoles (the 8.1s).

As with everything demo the two different types and go with what you think is best for you.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think they use to work well in DPL where the soundstage at the rear was mono, they diffuse the sound so you get a spacious soundstage but at the sacrifice of image specificity.
    Don't think they work so well with the stereo channels of D/D, IMO you will be better off with 8.1's as they are front firing, best thing to do is if you are not in a hurry to get the rears wait and till the bi-poles are available and demo them against a pair of the 8.1's you are interested in, only you will decide which sounds best.

4. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the advice. I would want them for both music and movies, I'll try to find somewhere who will demo both and have a listen.

As long as front firing ones don't actually sound bad in home cinema I am leaning toward the 8.1s.