Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wharfedale PPS1 vs. conventional speakers for backround listening

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by supox, Jan 31, 2005.

1. supox

supox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings everyone.

I'm trying to decide what kind of stereo setup to use in my room. These would be strictly for casual/backround listening purposes, as I'm using headphones most of the time.

Now, I've two options right now:

1. Sonic Impact T-amp and a pair of efficient enough speakers (35€ + ??). Note that because of the amplifier a subwoofer cannot be used.

2. Wharfedale active LoudPanels (300€).

I'd prefer the response of the speakers to be as flat as possible. Well, bass can be a tad exaggerated, as I listen at low volumes. However, any speakers that can be considered to have sharp or emphasized highs will not do. Naturally the mids won't be very detailed with such a setup, but that doesn't mean they can be recessed, either. Maybe I'm demanding too much from a budget setup, hmm? ;)

Oh yes, thanks for any and all help in advance.

2. Fatman

Fatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a PPS1 loudpanel/sub package for use as cheap surround-sound speakers. I picked them up for 50 GBP as they were being sold off. They're good enough in the role of cheap surrounds, but you wouldn't want to listen to music on them. They're not that good. I reckon you could do an awful lot better for 300€.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    The pps1 are very soft sounding, ideal for background listening at low levels in fact. I used to have mine coming off a DAB tuner via a hi-fi and would leave it on all night long at low volume. The sound rarely got exciting enough to wake me up :)

Who stocks the T amp ?

Mike.

4. supox

supox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, responses. I had almost lost all hope. :)

Sorry about the T-amp, I should've provided some useful links:

Manufacturer's site
    One of the several stores that carries them

I had a chance to listen to the active loudpanel set today. Couldn't decide if I like them or not, as the "source" was a flimsy portable CD player. Took a few minutes to try the 9.1's out in comparison, but they had a weird echo in the mids. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think they'd work at low volumes, especially if you want to fill a room with music.

5. ROY_H

ROY_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tried the PP1s as rears. Ok but found them too disperse. Bought some Wharfedale DFS-18 biploars from HiFiBitz for £50. Magnitude imnprovement. The bipolar gives solid stereo effect with added 'dispersion' out the sides. I think the cone-speaker of the DFSs also matches the conventional other speakers uch better than the panels do.

6. supox

supox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually wondered if bipolar speakers would do the trick. Unfortunately, the DFS-18's response only goes down to 70Hz, which means I'd need a separate subwoofer. Oh well.

Spent some more time with the loudpanels also, now using my own player. Hardly flawless, but I like their non-agressive and omnipresent sound quite a bit. Almost enough to not be taken aback by the 300€ price tag. Then again, it's not like I have much choice... there have been exactly two used active sets for sale here (Finland), ever. Bleh.