1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Pacific Evo

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sapkan, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anybody using these for home cinema? What is your configuration? What have your impressions been so far? Their spec is impressive and the VFM is certainly there.

2. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Evolution 10 (in Glossy Black) which will eventually be used as my rear speakers, and partnered with Wharfedale Opus 2 (Fronts) and Opus Center Channel for my Home Theater system. I ordered the Opus 2 and CC three months ago, they should be in over the next few weeks.

Right now, I have them (Evo 10) in a 2-channel setup for the sake of "break-in" and for the sake of hearing how they do as the main speakers in a system.

I have been impressed with them.

One day, I put in the Eagles Greatest Hits CD and played "One Of These Nights". Well, I was shocked how wonderfully defined the bass line is and how much nice, tight weight the bass carries. I've noticed this in other songs too. The vocals also come across real nice.

Really, it seems to depend on the recording/mix of a song. These speakers don't exaggerate the bass frequencies...or any other frequency. These speakers have a balanced (or as some say.."flat" ) response, but I find them smooth, musical and very pleasant to listen to.

Hope this helped.

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I first saw the pacific range only recently but now I am seriously thinking of a home cinema setup made of 4x Evo 200s and a evo-centre. I was thinking of a black finish too but didnt know they do it in glossy black. sounds even better! not much info on that range in the forum though. is it relatively new?

4. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Evo Series has been around for about 2-3 years.

I had a hard time finding the Evolution 10 in Glossy Black, here in America (which I wanted so they would match the Opus 2 and Opus Center Channel's Glossy Black finish). As a matter of fact the Evo series is no longer available in the United States.....in Glossy Black. I was just luck they were able to locate a pair for me.

I imagine if you call Wharfedale (IAG), they can inform you of the availability in your area.

5. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    do you have a picture of the evo finished in glossy black? I would love to see how it looks, google is not helping and the shop had it light brown

6. brew2

brew2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using these for the past 18 months. You can see my config at the bottom of this message. They are great speakers but need alot of room. I find that they sound great for Cinema duty but way too boomy for my Cyrus CD listening so looking to replace them with a Dynaudio setup. But don't let me put you off they are very good speakers especially for home cinema.

7. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are few pics.

Obviously this is a very temporary set up, till my new custom TV cabnet is completed and my Opus 2 and Opus CC arrive :)

:smashin:

Attached Files:

8. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nmytree,thanx for the pix they look lovely! glossy black must be the best finish for these.

brew, good to learn your experience. I am a movie buff and would use them 70% for movies. My room is quite big (28 sqm) and it is partially open to the kitchen so they would have plenty of room to open up. My initial concern was whether 4 Evo-200s would be sufficient.

9. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a set of EVO 30s for front 2 x evo centers (front and back center) set of evo 8s as surounds and an 12 inch wharfedale sub. Thay are all piano gloss finish and running on a sony 1080 amp. I love my setup!!

10. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    As above the evo 30's are great for home cinema, but I use them for my main stereo's too, with Musical fidelity gear they have a coherent solid sound, I'm very happy with them and reckon they could stand a couple fo upgrades on the source and amplification path too before being outclassed.

11. Moroz

Moroz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    “EVO Piano bird's eye maple” is the best finish in below $1000 area!!! (IMO of course) My set is NAD753+EVO10(front)+RUARK LogRythm(sub)+Diamond 8.1/c Midrange and bass are excellent, but high frequencies was annoying in warm up period (sharp and accented on s, ch, sh ). One month later this defect is seamless.

12. scooter3

scooter3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use Evo 20s (birds eye maple piano gloss) as my front speakers, absolutely fantastic, am now looking to upgrade all of my speakers to Wharfedale Evos.