Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30 - How do I change the tweeters? Is it an easy job?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chrisjoanne, Aug 3, 2006.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I blew my Wharfedale tweeters a couple of weeks ago and I have now received a new pair of tweeters from Wharfedale.

Can someone give me exact details on how to change the tweeters?
    Is it an easy job?
    Is there any souldering involved?
    Am I better off taking the speakers to my local hi-fi dealer and getting them to change them?

I read a post a few days ago on this topic (can't find it now) and I'm sure the guy replaced his own tweeters......... I certainly don't want to damage anything else and totally void the warranty, but if the job is straight forward, I might give it a go.

Cheers in advance.
    Chris

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Should be straightforward:

Take the grilles off - obviously!
    If you can see the mounting screws round the outside of the tweeter faceplate you're halfway there.
    These may be screws or bolts requiring an Allen Key
    Remove these carefully (without scratching the screws/bolts or the tweeter faceplate)
    Carefully remove the tweeter, and see if it connected with push-on spade terminals or soldered.
    If it's spades, note which wires go to which terminal, and carefully remove the spades from the tabs on the tweeter. You might need someone to hold the tweeter whilst you do this.
    Wire up new tweeter as before, and replace bolts/screws. Do not overtighten!!!

If the wires are soldered, you will need to sweat off the old connection and re-make. Harder than the process described above, but not too difficult if you have a soldering iron.

If the tweeters are mounted from the inside of the enclosure, then it's much more difficult, but in all likelihood they won't be, as these would be much more difficult to manufacture, therefore more expensive.

Good luck!

3. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for your reply.

The tweeter is covered with no means of getting into it. Its covered with a plastic cover - no screws on show.

hmm....I think I'm going to take it to the local dealer.....especially if it may need souldering.

Chris

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    There will be little rubber plugs where the pegs for the speaker grille fit. You should be able to remove these and behind them will be thr screws holding on the front baffle.

If you are at all unsure, which it sounds like you are, you should get a dealer to do it for you.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    On the EVO 20's I had, the alloy pod holding the tweeter was fixed from the inside. I didn't change the unit I was just curious as to how they were fitted.

6. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the posts....

I've taken them to my main local dealer to get changed - he's going to charge £20.

Just a little plug for them because they are very genuine....it's Global Hi-fi of Newcastle (Clayton Street). I purchased my Roksan Kandy amp from them around 3 years ago and got a really good part-ex deal too.

He did agree that the only way to get to the tweeter was to take off the top grille.

It's been a bit of an expensive lesson, but I can guarantee that I won't be playing the amp at excessive levels again. :lesson:

7. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a telephone call from Global hi-fi.

The guy believes that a special tool is needed to get to the tweeter (as it is covered and no screws are on show).

He has taken off the larger speaker underneath the tweeter, but is stopped from taken the tweeter out by what he thinks are some special screws.

He is going to ring Wharfedale on Monday to find out exactly how to take these off.

Can someone shine a little light on this for me please.

Why would wharfedale send me the tweeters if I also need a special tool to get the tweeters out?
    The warranty for Wharfedale states that the speakers must be sent back to where they were purchased to be fixed. (I had purchased them from Superfi Online). Therefore, if I had purchased the speakers from Global hi-hi, I would have been expected to send them back to Global hi-fi to be fixed and not back to Wharfedale.

Have Wharfedale made the changing of a tweeter a pain in the backside, so you have no option but to send them back to their Head Office?

Any help on this matter will be appreciated.
    Chris

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The tweeter pod is held on by a captive bolt, washer and nut from the inside, it's also covered in some black goop. The washer is glued on and will need to be loosened to get the unit off. The tweeter it's self is held in the 'pod' by screws and more goop. Slightly fiddly but no special tools required.
    Unless they drastically changed the design for the EVO 30's

9. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers mate.....thanks very much. Just been on phone and explained this to him.
    He's going to take a look on Monday for me.

Thanks again
    Chris

10. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, here's how things stand at present........

I've spoken to Wharfedale head Office who have told me it’s an easy job to change the tweeters.

However, Global Hifi has told me its not. The tweeters are blocked in by wood and they don't want to take a hammer and chisel to them.

They have tried a couple of times to get through to Wharfedale services to know the best way of getting to the tweeters but can't seem to speak to someone.

I'm in absolute desperate need of the speakers back (working 100% obviously) and don't know what to do.

Can anyone help me out here please?

With no means of getting to the tweeters from the outside of the speakers, how can the guys at Global Hifi get to them.
    They realise the top speaker has to be taken off, but once that’s off where do they go?

They can't actually see back of the tweeter and can only feel where to go and what to do.

Any pictures or anything to help me out will be appreciated.

Is there someone from Wharfedale out there to give me guidance?

It's getting a bit ridiculous now and I need to go forward.

Cheers
    Chris

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The bolt from the pod comes in through the top of the speaker it has a nut and washer on it and covered with goop to stop it from vibrating loose. The wires to the tweeter go through a hole (very near the bolt) in the front of the speaker that is also sealed with sticky stuff. The pod won't come off until the washer is loosened as the washer is glued on.

How I did it:

Remove top driver, stick hand in hole and feel for the bolt, remove goop from the bolt, feel for the wires to the tweeter and remove goop from them to, undo the nut, pull tweeter pod up and forward, get thin screwdriver and insert from above into hole for the bolt, hit screwdriver to remove the washer, pod now comes off easily.

12. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers avanzato.......I'm just going to print off your post and take it to them tomorrow......I'll see how they get on will that infomation.

Cheers again
    Chris

13. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just want to say a big thank you to avanzato for posting step by step guidelines to change the tweeters. :beer:
    Global Hifi managed to follow these and get them changed (a 3 hour job :eek: I believe)

I finally have my speakers back in working order! :thumbsup:

........now, where did I put that David Bowie CD?

Cheers
    Chris