Wharfedale MS-100 setup questions

APinto

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got myself a Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver that initially I coupled with my very old Sony SS-CSD1 bookshelf speakers. I was very happy with the sound quality improvement, but wanted to use a bit more of the receiver's capabilities, especially in terms of home cinema (my wife is very keen on surround sound, although I prefer good audio for music listening).

I came across a really good deal for the Wharfedale MS-100 5.1 package (£99!) and decided to give it a go. Initially I had some trouble getting any bass out of it and decided to play with the crossover. I set it at the max of 150 Hz and the bass came through. Anything below 120 Hz and the bass is very poor. Is this normal, even though the satellite speakers are quite small?

Now, in terms of music listening... I don't think I'm happy. I definitely got bass and home cinema improvements over my old Sony speakers, but the music clarity isn't there. It sounds cheaper, I don't know how to explain, like embedded TV speakers; especially when the subwoofer is off.

So, I thought about swapping the front Wharfedale satellites with the Sony speakers. I didn't give it a go yet, but I wanted to hear your opinion on that. Is it a good idea? Will the setup be unbalanced? Am I just wasting money and room space on the Wharfedales?

Thank you very much for your time reading this! Cheers!

AP

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi AP,

The "cheaper" sound is likely due to just that; you added more speakers but essentially downgraded the sound. It is often recommended on here that a decent 2.1 system is much better than a cheaper 5.1. Unless you have the budget for better speakers, just use your Sonys but experiment with the sub for extra bottom end.

Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom