Wharfedale LCD42F1080P and GRUNDIG GU108047IV - any comments?

I too would like to know some more about these. Not heard much.

Fellas

This 42" 1080p is now available for £500 at www.argos.co.uk, reduced from £799.

Anyone who owns this set care to comment on its performance and desirability at this price?

Oh - it includes a 3 year guarantee as well. Not bad value if the TV isn't a complete stinker.

Wow, that could be fantastic value! :eek:

Well, I'm a sucker for cheap crap, so I took the plunge and ordered one.

With 3 year warranty, I can't really go wrong. Also took the 0% 9 month credit with it as well.

I shall post my results when I take receipt of the item on Friday morning.

Here's hoping!

I'd be interested to know what the PC connection is like, I wouldn't mind a 42" PC monitor. This is an incredible price for full 1920 X 1080 resolution.

Hi

I was wondering if somebody could help me...

I have a Humax PVR9200T freeview recorder. The Wharfdale TV has integrated freeview so does anybody know whether the recorder will still work on a TV that has freeview on it?

Thanks

Well, I'm a sucker for cheap crap, so I took the plunge and ordered one.

With 3 year warranty, I can't really go wrong. Also took the 0% 9 month credit with it as well.

I shall post my results when I take receipt of the item on Friday morning.

Here's hoping!

If u have somekind of hd-dvd/blu-ray player like ps3, can you test it with a disc to see if it is hdcp compatible? please.

Was so close to buying it, must resist temptation:D it would be nice to see a review, or anything about the company, but google has failed me! :rotfl:

VERY interested in finding out about this TV, as I was about to spend £400 on a 32" LG, for an extra £100 this could be a bargain!

Isn't really a looker but can't complain at that price!

I'm interested in peoples reviews of the wharfedale.

Considering buying it as a pc/console monitor for my computer room.

it would be nice to see a review, or anything about the company, but google has failed me! :rotfl:

Wharfedale make decent hi-fi speakers.

I assume this LCD is a re-badged job as it's not their usual product line.

I can't believe at that price the set is going to be too clever but I'd love to be wrong.

The Wharfedale is already out of stock at Argos! Will have to be quicker next time.

I receive the set on Tuesday morning, so I'll post my initial thoughts when I get a chance to check it out.

I will test the following:

1. Telewest SD picture quality via Scart (ouch!).
2. XBox 360 via component
3. Wii via component.
4. PS3 via hdmi
5. PC via VGA, checking for 1:1 pixel mapping etc.

TBH, I'm not expecting much, but at this price I was just curious to see if it could be any good.

I have tested a couple of budget LCDs, and I have a 32" Techwood in my bedroom, which is perfectly acceptable for playing PS3 on and much better than my old man's 37" Hannspree, which is pretty poor via HDMI, having a horizontal green bar at the top of the screen.

This TV replaces a 28" Bush CRT that I've owned for years, which is just awful, so I'm hoping that it'll be an improvement over *that* in terms of PQ.

I think it's fantastic price for what you are getting - 42" 1080p, Freeview, 2 x HDMI's, 2 x Scarts, etc, etc and with FREE delivery (even on Saturday - get mine delivered tomorrow) + 3 years FREE Warranty too. A lot of 26" LCD's are still more expensive than this - I think it will do just fine and I'm glad I bought mine before they ran out!!! OK at £800 you would think twice and compare with other models but at £499 - I'M IN!!

I also ordered one on the 9 months interest free as i thought it was a supreme bargain for supposedly full HD.... hoping i'm not going to be disappointed. saying that i'm upgrading from a 32 inch tevion 1080i so gotta be good!!! Not all of us have thousands to spare so i'm well chuffed!!

Anyone got one of the Wharfedale sets yet? A mate of mine is thinking of getting one so looking for people impressions.

Has anyone recieved one yet?

I ordered one as well and will get mine delivered in the next few days - just wondering if there were any reviews yet.

Cheers

Rob
:clap: First Post :hiya:

Hi I got this set yesterday, was looking forward to a fantastic 1920x1080 res out of my xbox 360 with vga, unfortunately the tv restricts you to the standard res of 1366x768 as it's highest through vga, ONLY hdmi will make full use of the FULL HD res!!!

Hi Guys

Received TV yesterday and set it up. Summary is: It's no turkey! Upon opening the massive box (about the size of a queen sized bed!), I installed it very quickly and without problems.

Now, unfortunately, I have NO ACCESS to terrestrial television at all in my area. I can't get a viable analogue or digital picture, so I'm unable to pass comment on this at all. Sorry.

The Wharedale logo is extremely small, perhaps deliberately so. You'd have to really look hard to notice it. The finish is glossy piano black for the surround and the base is metal. The finish on the metal isn't top class, but you don't really notice, so that's fine. The plastic casing of the unit is very tough and looks nice. Overall, it's a decent looker. Understated and sleek. Not ostentatious.

Okay, I have plugged the following into the set.

1. Virgin cable via cheap scart cable.
2. Nintendo Wii via RCA cables.
3. XBox 360 via component on 720p + 1080i.
4. PS2 via cheap scart cable.

1. Virgin Cable

Overall, decent upscaling of SD picture via scart. Very surprised to see that the Virgin OSD (i.e. TV info etc) text is absolutely solid shaded, without ANY pixel crawl at all, that I was so used to having on my CRT.

There is noticable pixelation on channels with a low bit rate and this is particularly noticable where there are lots of shades of black. Noise reduction features actually help quite a bit here.

It appears to be significantly better at rendering SD images than my Dad's Hannspree XV37" and has none of the suspect ghosting that appears on his set.

Panning is fairly decent with less noticable judder than on my Techwood 32" LCD (you can tell I always buy budget!).

When the screen is completely black the illumination over the entire panel is great and even, unlike my patchy Techwood. It's very impressive! The blacks are also very black and contrast is better than my Techwood and the Hannspree.

2. Nintendo Wii via RCA cables.

It's clean and lovely. Surfing the web is good on it and text is clear and readable. Makes SD look good!

3. XBox 360 via component @ 720p and 1080i

Absolutely fantastic. We have a Sammy 32" in the office and I have to say that this TV is every bit as good in terms of static picture quality and motion. Playing Halo 3 is great, and I can now read those small bits of text that were impossible on my 28" CRT. Handles everything Halo can throw at it with ease. Although, turn off all noise reduction settings for best results. Also, don't have the picture on "Dynamic" as it adjusts brightness at regular intervals, much in the same way as Samsung TVs do.

Didn't notice a huge difference between 720p and 1080i on Halo 3, but that's because I only had about 10 minutes on it before my malingering XBox finally succumbed to the RROD. Sigh....

4. PS2 via cheap scart.

Chunky resolution on this machine shows a little, but it still looks better than on my CRT, since the horrible pixel crawl is tidied up. Battlefield 2 looks better now than it ever did, although the lack of overall screen resolution on this game makes it look very dated on such a large display.

5. Sound Quality

Is clean, good and loud, offering a rounded performance for music and voice. Much better than on my Techwood.

6. Remote Control + Response

Remote control is cheap and light. It's no Samsung! Very simple to use and buttons don't jam and travel is light. It's 100x better than the Techwood remote control although looks extremely similar. The Techwood buttons have a tendency to jam on the upstroke.

Response to the remote control is also way better than the Techwood and range of the remote is better. The OSD response is about twice as fast, even though it looks like it's clearly a derivative of the Techwood middleware.

What I haven't tried yet:

1. My PS3 via HDMI (will test games + 1080p movie playback)
2. My laptop via VGA (will test 1:1 pixel mapping and generla response)

I'll test these tonight and post back, however my overall experience of this TV so far is that I love it. It's really competent at everything that I've tried so far. I just hope that the HDMI works well, since HDMI on my Dad's Hannspree is terrible; there's a large green horizontal bar at the top of the screen when using a Samsung HD870 upscaling DVD player. For me, that kind of bug would be a deal-breaker.

Everything on this set feels higher-quality than both Techwood and Hannspree. The SD and HD image quality is equivalent to the (1 year old) Samsung 32" we have in the office. The Samsung wins in terms of quality of finish, remote and OSD etc.

That's all for now. Sorry for rambling and I hope it's of use to someone.

Thanks alot - roll on the delivery men coming tomorrow.

I'm a bit ignorant with technology but i'm looking forward to using it as a monitor for my laptop as well as a tele - which is the best way to connect my laptop and what cable would i need to buy?

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom