1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale LCD1710AF any good?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Pogster, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Pogster

Pogster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was wondering if these are any good. Argos selling them for £300 and they have freeview!! If anyone has got one please reply, thanks in advance

2. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Got one yesterday...very pleased.

It's related to the highly regarded Mikomi, the connection panel, power supply and various other bits and bobs are the same, but it is actually better. The viewing angles on the Mikomi are a bit limited but on this they are very big in both directions. I found the Mikomi needed moving depending on where you view it from but the Wharfedale can just be left where it is. I think the contrast is also better.

The Freeview tuner is yet another incarnation of the Vestel ones that come under loads of different banners and is none the worse for it, this one with 7 day EPG and Top-Up.

Is much more pleasing on the eye than the Mikomi, with a more upmarket look about it particularly after picking off the Wharfedale badge.

On the whole I don't think you'll do any better for the price if not a fair bit more.

3. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm... does that mean both SCARTs are RGB capable (like on the Mikomi)? What are the quoted contrast ratio, viewing angle and response times in the manual?

4. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The quoted contrast ratio is 400:1, same as the Mikomi, but even the wife, who wouldn't normally notice any difference short of the screen going blank, commented how much better it was.

Viewing angles are 176 degrees both ways and genuinely appear to be. The TV is in the kitchen and with the Mikomi we were forever swinging it about depending on whether we were cooking, eating or feeding the baby. As I said, this one can just be left, to the extent I'm not going to bother fixing it to the wall mount. The blacks are much blacker and stay that way when viewed at an angle.

Haven't checked with regard to RGB as I was only using a Freeview box with it previously and now have no need, as usual the manual sheds no light.

Response time is 25ms so I wouldn't thnk it would be much cop for PC use but appears to be perfectly OK for TV watching. The Relysis I tried was quoted at 16ms and the motion blur on that was terrible just with TV so as usual it's all relative.

5. Pogster

Pogster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks got mine the otherday and very very impressed with it. it's great for a bedroom

6. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    b1g1an, thanks for the info. The specs look similar to the Toshiba 17WLT46B, which is related to the Mikomi (and now the Wharfedale) as that's also made by Vestel and costs at least £100 more. Does it also say 450 cd/m2 and 8-bit colour depth (16.7M colours) like on the 17WLT46B? If so, then this would truly be a bargain.

7. pasty

pasty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This TV must be selling well........ All the Branches around Bristol are sold out of this TV. You cannot either order it from the Argos website as it has sold out there aswell........... :(

8. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    jon, yes it is 450cd/m2 and more particularly 8-bit colour, would explain why I thought the picture was much better quality would it not.

Didn't even think to compare the specs more closely.

9. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. GPF

GPF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest has anyone managed to compare this with either of its rivals, there's a Humax and a JVC as well as the Toshiba.

Though if it ever becomes available again I'm very tempted by the price alone to buy one anyway.

11. gateway2k

gateway2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just bought the Wharfedale LCD1710AF from Argos in Worcester today.
    The manual and remote control is identical to the Toshiba 17WLT46B. The connections and controls to the side & rear ar identical.
    The case is similar. Clearly this comes from the same factory and so the innards are probably the same.

The main difference £299 vs. £499 !

Graeme

12. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Did you read the rest of this thread??????????

13. gregh

gregh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was after one of these, but it appeared sold out, do you know if there were any left in Worcester Graeme?
    regards,

greg

14. kingcutter

kingcutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am doing the install later on and will post a couple of pictures,i have a cunning plan.

15. gregh

gregh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    where did you get your from kingcutter?

regards,

greg

16. kingcutter

kingcutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg

Wife sorted it on line if your in the market they have stock of the 26'' at 499. :thumbsup:

17. gregh

gregh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's specifically the 17" I'm after, as it appears to be a rebranded Tosh, not sure what the 26" is....Did you get the 26"? Specs look good as does the price, just can't see the refresh rate of the 26".

cheers,

greg

18. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Not you as well! It's not a rebranded Toshiba, it's made by the same company that makes them for Toshiba as has been said already.

Apart from the case, the only difference I could find was the Wharfedale won't do PIP unless it is attached to a PC.

19. KUNGFOOKID

KUNGFOOKID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about sound quality?.Some small LCD's have terrible audio (not just the lesser known makes).I know you should not expect earth shaking sound but a few i have tried are so tinny they set your teeth on edge!

Also checked the Argos website and there appears to be none in stock.

20. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The standard sound is what you'd expect, not great but OK, but it has one of those effect settings that usually complately mess the sound up but, surprisingly, on this tv it makes it sound quite natural.

Bear in mind though that these things are effected greatly by positioning, mine is wedged in a corner under kitchen cabinets. Things may be the other way around if placed elsewhere.

21. KUNGFOOKID

KUNGFOOKID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    b1g1an,thanks for the info on the sound quality.Now convinced that the Wharfedale is ideal for my needs but it appears to be out of stock all over the country - Doh!
    Hope its just a minor supply glitch or i will have to start looking all over again.

22. mjbower

mjbower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you tell me if this has audio (L+R) inputs pls ?
    I'd like to run it as a PC display, but also connect the sound directly into it.

I;'m interested in what AV inputs it has, so I can wire up my kitchen accordingly.

Thanks

23. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If you search for it on the Argos website or just click here (damn I'm nice :)) :
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Televisions>C$Brand=Wharfedale.Wharfedale.htm
    it has a list of the inputs on it and the manual thats there's a link for earlier in this thread says it does have audio L/R inputs on page 58.

24. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    These weren't available when the catalogue came out so have been snapped up by all those that were already waiting, I was checking stock everyday for weeks until it finally appeared.

I'm sure the next batch will appear before too long, just keep your eyes open and grab it if you see it, it is Argos after all so if it turns out you don't like it you haven't lost anything.

25. KUNGFOOKID

KUNGFOOKID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Popped into Eltham Argos to check a few sale bits - punched in the cat number (known off by heart after trying for so long) - display shows 5 in stock!.Snapped one up and am very pleased with it.Good picture quality,not bad sound and plenty of connections.Just need to buy a small amplified aerial as my signal strength is a bit low.

26. neil.evans@john

neil.evans@john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a bad digital area and only have SKY available. This is all i have connected to the TV via a scart, but the TV switches off after 5 mins. Read the manual and it said that if no RF signal is detected it will switch off, but a fote note says not in the AV mode. But mine does.
    Any Ideas?
    Otherwise TV is great

27. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Its a feature :eek: .
    Spoke to an argos/wharfdale "techy" yesterday , you need to be able to tune in a freeview signal to get the TV to stay on . Even though the instuctions hint that you don't need to . It says that you need to let the digital set up run , even if you don't intend to use freeview :confused:. Shame 'cos I reallt like the TV:( . I'm taking it back later and swapping it again for a Mikomi

Cheers
    John

Ps , welcome to the forums , have a good look around , theres loads of info regarding all sorts of kit

28. brenty

brenty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please help, i'm new to all this and got one of these tv's a couple of days ago to use as a monitor and tv in the spare room but everytime i boot my computer up it tell me on screen in a little blue box that "signal out of range" and i can't get any display, yet if i boot up using my old monitor then unplug the 15 pin plug from my tower and plug the tv one in it all works fine.
    i've been on to argos and they spent 1/2 hour telling me to try this setting try that setting and eventually palmed me off saying they would have to get on to wharfedale to try and solve it. my 16 guarentee thingy runs out on friday so if i can't sort it by then it's going back. i am running xp if this helps.
    please help me as i really like the tv.

29. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617

Right click on the desktop , properties , settings , bottom left of the window it will let you select the resolution . Think they are listed in the rear of the wharfdale manual .

John

30. brenty

brenty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers john, tried that and asoon as you press apply the display dissapears and the signal out of range comes up.
    next idea?:(