Wharfedale Integrated Digital TV

Had one since the begining of the year.Good picture,not bad sound and plenty of connections make it a good value screen.A plus point is that it does not look as cheap and ugly as many budget LCD's.

I fancied one of these last year but they seemed to disappear from Argos as if they'd gone out of production.

Now it seems to be back, but is it an end of line sell-off or a re-launch?

Anyone know what's going on?

:clap:

I got one in November for my kitchen and I'm very happy with it. For some reason it went up to £400 in the new catalogue last month but is now on "sale" back at the old price. Stuck out like the proverbial thumb at £400 given the 20" Wharfedale was less than that:D Granted the 20" has a lower resolution but not sure how many Argos customers would appreciate that.

A few questions.....

Is there a handle on the back?
Does the scart have RGB and S-Video?
Is it reasonably sensitive or is a good signal essential for the Freeview?

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

I contacted Argos last year re the shortage & they told me that due to demand, there was a general shortage of the 17 lcd panels used in the TV. I thought it was a loss leader just to get people in the store, but it seems now that maybe it wasn't!

I got the 20" model from Argos last year and have to say I was extremely disappointed with it. The colour and sound quality was very poor. It went back after a few days.I then bought a Toshiba 20wlt56....now that is the mutts nuts !!!!!!:D

I got one of these a few days ago, (this is my first experiance of a LCD TV).

I'm still deciding whether to keep it or not.

Quality from a high quality RGB source like DVD or PC is very good (perhaps with the exception of very slight ghosting as it's a 25mS screen but I haven't really found ghosting a problem apart from on fast moving programme credits).
Quality from Freeview was a bit dissapointing with jaggies, blocks & aritfacts being quite noticable (especially on sports programmes).
From looking though the posts here and on other forums, this is to be expected on LCD panels, especially budget ones.

I've also found a problem where the sharpness setting for the freeview tuner isn't remembered until I go back into the picture settings and scroll down to sharpmess, and then the setting is recalled (without me actually re-adjusting it).

I've also tried comparing the built-in tuner to a external Freeview box (Topfield PVR) and although at first, I couldn't spot any difference, but now I think the Topfield tuner has the edge with more consistant colours and fewer digital artifacts visible (though that may be down to the set remembering the sharpness settings on a AV input and the fact that noise reduction setting can be applied to a AV input whereas the menu option for noise reduction does not appear when using the Freeview tuner)

To answer Holliz's questions...
Holliz said:
Is there a handle on the back?
No

Holliz said:
Does the scart have RGB and S-Video?
Both SCARTs have RGB input.
I don't think they have S-video input though, (at least when I changed my Topfield PVR to output S-video rather than RGB, the picture changed to black & white so I presume that S-video isn't supported).
It does have a seperate S-video input though.

Holliz said:
Is it reasonably sensitive or is a good signal essential for the Freeview?
I can't really tell as I've always had a reasonaby good Freeview signal.

Thanks emsee.

Bin and gone and bought one now!
Very impressed so far, no problems.

Just one question though - what is the latest software version?
Mine is version 2.0W

Has anyone tried it without an RF feed , just scart ?
I picked one up on friday , love it , but only use it with a SKY box . It turns of without fail after 5 minutes , even though it shouldn't when using an AV input . Have sent an RF feed from the Digibox , but it still turns off .
Going to take it back and get another tomorrow . But if this is a "feature" may try somthing else . Which would be a shame 'cos I like everything else about it

Cheers
John

johnscarlet said:
Has anyone tried it without an RF feed , just scart ?
I picked one up on friday , love it , but only use it with a SKY box . It turns of without fail after 5 minutes , even though it shouldn't when using an AV input . Have sent an RF feed from the Digibox , but it still turns off .
Going to take it back and get another tomorrow . But if this is a "feature" may try somthing else . Which would be a shame 'cos I like everything else about it

Cheers
John
I've had mine running ok for a long while just on scart so you seem to have a problem. There is a no-signal 5 minute timer that will go into standby but it's supposed to be invalid in AV mode (page 25 in the manual).

Does anyone have a problem with an uneven black picture?
Just select AV with no AV input for a blank screen to see it.

Mine looks very patchy and one area is quite noticeably lighter, but is this normal?
Should I expect perfection for £300 or could it be better on another set?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom