1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Evolution 30 feedback?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brogan, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Flicking through some old mag's these tend to get good reviews.
    They also look quite smart and seem to be pretty much what I'm looking for.
    I currently have some Wharfedale floorstanders so I'd be happy to replace them with more Wharfedales.

Anyone got any feedback on them?

My local dealer doesn't stock them so it's going to be difficult to try before I buy so any feedback greatly appreciated.

I'll be pairing them with a Pioneer AX5i receiver.

2. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    send e-mail to Wharfedale uk they will locate the speakers for you.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks - I'll drop them a line.

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks to your suggestion Mammoth, I found a dealer on the Wharfedale website just 20 min's away and I now have a pair of Evo 30's on trial in my lounge until Saturday. :smashin:

Initial impressions however aren't great as there is just too much bass for my liking...(damn that QED bi-wire) :(
    I've currently got them about 70cm away from the wall but they're still a bit boomy.
    They improve if I turn on the MCACC but I prefer to listen to music in DIRECT mode, avoiding any artificial manipulation of the source.
    Perhaps I need to consider bookshelf speakers but that goes against all my principles...:rolleyes:

5. Tommytutor

Tommytutor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brogan

I have the EVO 40's which supposedly have more bass extension than the 30's and have not experienced any of the boominess you describe. Are all your tone settings set to flat? Mine are only 14 inches from the rear wall and are fine, no boom. Being front ported should help prevent some of this problem,do you have them in corners? This could make them too bassy.
    Tom

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Tom

I always listen to music in the DIRECT mode on the AX5 which means no tone adjustments or noise reduction, etc.
    Admittedly they are in the corners but they are 50cm away from the rear wall and slightly away from the side walls and as you say they are front ported so should be less fussy about positioning.

How do you find the 40's?
    I was considering those but if there is even more bass it could make matters worse.
    Did you compare the 40's against any others?
    I'm currently considering the KEF Q7's as they have better sensitivity of 91dB and on paper look a pretty good spec'.
    Unfortunately it will take the dealer 3 weeks to get a pair in for me to test.
    They have a sale on until end of Jan and are offering 12.5% off so now would be a good time to pick up a bargain...

Paul

7. Tommytutor

Tommytutor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul, and Merry Christmas. I would try getting them further away from the side walls. Mine are about 4 feet from the corners in my room. I just don't understand why you are getting such a boom condition. I assume that you are not running a subwoofer with them, if you are; it may help to set your main speakers to small if you have that option. I really didn't auditon them against other speakers other than the ones I was looking to replace which were Paradigm Monitor 3 V.III's which are small bookshelf speakers. The Wharfedales just seemed to create a very enveloping sound stage. The other speakers in the showroom were Legacy's which are quite a bit out of my price range. A couple of weeks ago I did give the Legacy's a listen, they were about 3500.00 US for the pair. They were not worth upgrading to from the Wharfedales, in my opinion. I thought they would blow them away but they didn't. I think the Q7's have the same cabinet shape and are also imported from China. I haven't auditioned them. You may want to check out the audioreview.com site, they may have some reviews that may be helpful. Tom

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks Tom, Merry Xmas to you too.

Unfortunately I can't really put them any further into the room as the room is quite small.
    There is no sub - just the 2 fronts on their own.
    I don't really understand it either as they tend to get great reviews.
    Perhaps it's the room acoustics?
    I do really like the Evo's though - the build quality seems very good and they are a lovely stylish speaker so it's a shame.
    I've decided to audition the Kef Q7's and see how they do.
    Failing that I may consider going up a step to the B&W's which are about £2k I think.

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Returned the loan EVO 30's to the dealer today and had a chat about other speakers and possibly even going for shelf speakers.
    It was clear that the dealer was reluctant to loan me any more speakers to test at home and instead wants me to book a demo in his listening room.
    I then mentioned that we may be moving soon and he advised me not to buy new speakers until after we move as the room acoustics will be different and the speakers I buy now may not be suitable for the new place.
    Fair enough.
    But why then should I demo speakers in his listening room which will not match either our current place or the new place?
    Seems an odd contradiction to me.
    He won't lend me other speakers to test at home as he wants me to test them in his listening room but at the same time he says room acoustics play a big part in choosing a particular speaker...:confused:

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listening rooms are supposed to make all speakers sound good.

I think the point of a home demo is to listen to how speakers interact with your room rather than how they sound in an acoustically neutral environment, which a shop demonstration room aims to provide.

His recommendation makes sense really. if you felt overwhelmed by the bass with the Evos then standmounts might provide what you're after.

Dimmy

11. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I take your point Dimmy but having seen his listening room, it is anything but neutral.
    There are loads of boxes, bits of old equipment, speakers, stands etc. all lying about the place.
    Also, the 2 old over-stuffed sofas are a scant 1 or 2 metres from the speakers so the staging will be less than perfect...
    I think I'm going to persevere with floorstanders until I find a pair I like.
    Of course, if the worst comes to the worst, we can always move house...;)