1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Evo range- magnetic shielding?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Pleasant, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A friend of mine has visited Wharfedale's website in an effort to discover whether the Evo range (and the Pacific in particular) is magnetically shielded. Nothing mentioned, but I'm sure the Evo range includes a centre speaker and rears so surely they are. Anyone know for sure?

2. Tommytutor

Tommytutor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr. Pleasant,
    I have a pair of Wharfedale Evo 40's. I had to remove one of the 6.5 inch drivers to replace the trim ring. The woofer did not have a bucking magnet on it so I would say they are not shielded. However, I have them about 10 inches away from my Sony Wega 36" TV and they don't affect the picture in any way. The tweeters use neodymium magnets which I guess are considered to be self shielding. The best thing to do is to try them at home making sure you have the option to return them or have your dealer set them up next to a tv at the store. My previous speakers were Klipsch KLF 10's which had two 10" woofers per cabinet with huge unshielded magnets. These worked out ok also, but, just a few inches of change as to where they were positioned would mess up the picture.

Tom

3. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tommy, thanks for that. I'll copy and paste that little lot into an email to my pal...

4. paulend

paulend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tommy, what setup do you use to run the evo's? im perhaps thinking of upgrading my system and was considering the smaller evo 20's and was just wondering what sort of power you need to drive the larger 40's?

cheers

5. GodtheDJ

GodtheDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Wharfedale today, the guy was pretty helpful and said that non of their speakers apart from the centres are shielded. He reccomended 50cm distance to be on the safe side, but Tom's story interests me as I am in a similar situation. I am getting a Sony 28" widescreen and I was originally looking at the Wharfedale Diamond screen package as an option, but the main speakers would need to be within 30-40cm of the TV.

6. Tommytutor

Tommytutor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paulend.
    I run the Evo 40's with a Marantz 7000 Receiver which is 100 watts per channel. This seems to do a good job powering them, but, these speakers definitely require more juice than the Klipsch KLF 10's I had before. The Klipsch were 96 db efficient while the 40's are 89db efficient. In my brochure it states the 20's are 87db efficient. I would recommend a 100 watts per channel when running speakers with 87db rating, not that an amp runs at that wattage all the time. Most of the time you'll only run at a few watts. When you have large demands on the amp due to program source, it doesn't take long to run out of steam with an 87db efficiency per watt rated speaker. Just to give you an example, an 87db rated speaker reguires twice the amplifier power to reach the same level of output as a 90db rated speaker. It is usually not having enough power that blows speakers, not the other way around. I hope this helps you.

Tom