Wharfedale Evo 4.4 tweeter low volume cutout

tarsal

Novice Member
Hi,

I've bought a set of Wharfedale Evo 4.4 along with a Denon AVC-X3700H. I'm really happy with the setup and they simply sound amazing in all volume ranges.
Unfortunately, I do experience an odd behaivour from time to time.

Setup (all new):
  • Wharfedale Evo 4.4
  • Denon AVC-X3700H
  • 4mm (0.15") cables
  • no bi-wiring/amping
  • Music source: HDMI connected devices and Spotify Connect
Problem:
During low volume music, sometimes the tweeter on one of the speakers does not work at all. The tweeter on the other speaker does work as expected at the same time during the same song.
If I increase the volume, at a certain point the missbehaving speaker seems to have "breakthrough" and everything is back to normal. I can then decrease volume and the speakers are balanced again (both tweeters working the same way).

I've tested it by putting my ear close to both tweeters during the same song listening closely to the higher frequencies and switching quickly between both speakers.

Tests so far, without any success:
  • Checked correct cable connections (red/red, black/black)
  • Disabled Audyssey and all other functions which control the music
  • Disabled Eco mode
  • Tested various input music sources and connection types to rule out any input problems
  • Switched left/right connection of speakers at the amp (still the same speaker has problems, although less often)

Hypotheses:
  • The affected speaker has a defect?
  • The amp does mess up the signal
  • Cable connection is not good enough (no banana plug connection)
  • Speakers need more play-time
Unfortunately, i do not have other speakers or another amp at hand.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any tips for what to test or do now? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Solution
You need to rule out its not the amp or not.

However I once had a speaker with the tweeter not working, it turned out the wire to the tweeter was loose. Have you checked all wiring to see if nothing has come loose, if you are able to look inside?

Are the speakers are under warranty, I would take them back to avoid voiding the warranty.

Are you using the amp in 2 channel mode.. Do you have other channels to test the speakers?

password1

Distinguished Member
You need to rule out its not the amp or not.

However I once had a speaker with the tweeter not working, it turned out the wire to the tweeter was loose. Have you checked all wiring to see if nothing has come loose, if you are able to look inside?

Are the speakers are under warranty, I would take them back to avoid voiding the warranty.

Are you using the amp in 2 channel mode.. Do you have other channels to test the speakers?

Upvote 1
Solution

tarsal

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply!

It wasn't a loose cable in the end, but a slightly loose jumper plate. After i changed the wiring, such that the screw really presses down the cable and jumper plate equally, it directly started to work.

And now they sound even better and well balanced.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom