Wharfedale EVO 4.3 vs 4.4 vs KEF Q3

hmh78

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm thinking of upgrading my KEF Q3 speakers. I'm thinking about the Wharfedale EVO 4.3 because it has a compacter size compared to the 4.4. Did anyone listen to both? Is the 4.3 way worse than the 4.4?
I'm also wondering if this would really be an upgrade compared to my KEF Q3s. Still enjoying these a lot when playing music (rock, pop, soul, blues).
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Pity there's been no response to this because I'm looking at the same options! I'll just have to try the Wharfedales and send them back to Richer Sounds if I don't like them

I ordered the 4.3s. Still waiting for them to arrive. They are lost somewhere between China and Europe..

I've heard back from Richer Sounds, who heard back from Wharfedale that the 4.3 is in stock in black and white, but walnut is at least mid-March!

I've just been reading positive reviews of the 4.2 stand-mount, which is making me think. The 4.4 may be a bit big for my space, whereas the 4.3 may be a bit underpowered, and is only 875mm tall. The 4.2 is as tall and wide as the 4.4 (on the EVO stand) but possibly less dominating visually and aurally. Just looking for an upgrade on my old Dynaudio Audience 40's on Atacama stands.

I guess I'll have to wait for a while. Will post my findings when I get them. I can try for two weeks. If underpowered I will upgrade to 4.4s. I hope they will be a step up in sound quality from my KEFs. Which are smaller than the 4.3s but already have a great sound to my ears.

Not sure honestly. I tried the Wharfedale 4.4 at a Richersounds demo and though they were horrible. Possibly they needed to be run in. I ended up with LS50 + REL T5i sub combination instead which I thought sounded better in every way.

The 4.4 have received excellent reviews so I was quite surprised when I heard them that I was not impressed at all. I suspect you may find them a downgrade from the R3. What is there about the R3 that you would like to improve upon?

Interesting to hear they sounded poor. I'm looking to upgrade my KEF Q3 which I've had for over 15 years now. Will see how the 4.3 turns out once they ever get here.

I was quite surprised, they have had really good reviews.

I have had other pairs of Wharfedales in the past, and in fact have a 30-year-old set on my desk right now, so I was very positively inclined towards them. Thought they would be exactly what I wanted. Ended up leaving the showroom rather depressed.

Not sure whether they were not properly run in, or didn't have the right amp - listened with a Rotel and a CA CXA80, or maybe they just ain't my kind of sound. Who knows?

I would be astonished though if they were actually poor - they have been too well received and reviewed for that.

I’ve heard the Evos in a 5.1 setup and thought they sounded phenomenal. Then I saw the price - couldn’t believe how (comparatively) cheap they were! I hadn’t long demoed KEF R in a 7.2.4 setup

You will always get differing options on how speakers sound. There has already been a disappointment with the Wharfedales and that will often happen with any speaker and any person. We are all different and want, or expect, how speakers perform. That's not to say the person being negative is wrong, far from it, because it is their expectations.

That's why you should always look and read about different speakers and after drawing up your list you should audition them and make your own mind up. There is no right and wrong. Just which speakers put the biggest smile on your face.

I hope you enjoy your new speakers.........when they eventually arrive.

Interesting to hear they sounded poor. I'm looking to upgrade my KEF Q3 which I've had for over 15 years now. Will see how the 4.3 turns out once they ever get here.
Interesting, Is this a tribute to the KEF Q3? Had mine for 20 years and been really pleased with them. Having gradually upgraded other components I too am looking for a suitable replacement. I can't seem to find any comparable compact floor standers by Kef. Looking at the R5 but my better half thinks they will dominate the room. Would be glad to hear any other suggestions.

Interesting, Is this a tribute to the KEF Q3? Had mine for 20 years and been really pleased with them. Having gradually upgraded other components I too am looking for a suitable replacement. I can't seem to find any comparable compact floor standers by Kef. Looking at the R5 but my better half thinks they will dominate the room. Would be glad to hear any other suggestions.
I don't think so, they are a good locking speaker and have smaller drivers than the R3s which, with a stand, would have roughly the same footprint. My missus was disappointed when I brought the old R300s home instead of the R500s.

I don't think so, they are a good locking speaker and have smaller drivers than the R3s which, with a stand, would have roughly the same footprint. My missus was disappointed when I brought the old R300s home instead of the R500s.
Thanks for that, as I continue my search I'll make sure she sees your response.

The old R3 and r5 are so well priced at the mo that they're a no brainer if you're looking to buy new speakers, surely! £900 for the R3 should be a no brainer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom