Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or Linton Speakers?

jan2897

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers and am considering upgrading to either the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or Wharfedale Linton speakers. I would be grateful for any help or advice towards making my choice. Thank you

I use a Valve amplifier with 40w per channel output. My room is 6m x 3.5m. My music tastes are mainly " Easy Listening" James Last Orchestra, Bert Kaempfert etc plus some big band music and musicals. I also like most of the 60's groups. Hope this helps. Thank you.

I can't comment on the Lintons as not heard them but Ive demoed the evo 4.4 at a dealers. They are good but I didn't find them anything special, at least in the setup at the dealers. They're easy to listen to on the warmer.side of neutral.

Have you considered Rega?

Superb speakers and an easy drive for your amp.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Using a valve amp, even with 40w I’d be looking at higher sensitivity speakers. The Lintons are 90dB/W/m but dip to 3.5ohm and the 4.3’s are 88 dB/W/m but dip to 4.4ohms.

Personally, I’d go for the Lintons (buy the stands with the speakers, much cheaper) but best to get yourself down to a shop and have a listen then sort out a home demo.

However if you are ok with second hand these PMC would do the job very well For stand mounts.

Sonus Faber have always been renown for their clear and realistic midrange so these Chemeleon T may do the job nicely (£2k when new), but even though they are reasonably sensitive they are rated at 4ohms so you will need suitable taps on your amp or be rated to drive them.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Heard them both demoed - the Evo are superb with my valve amp.
45 watt valve amp and my preferred listening mode (triode) with 25 watts.
Smooth and sweet sound.!!
I would recommend a demo.
Evo and a great tube amp are a perfect match.

Can't really compare the Evo range with the Linton.. they are leagues apart.. it's like comparing Naim with Linn ....

You are looking at a floorstander against a standmount to begin with..

I found the Evo 4.3 have a very bright treble a raised midband and they really scream with bad digital or poor recordings I would be looking at a more bass heavy oriented amp to keep these under control

The Lintons... is where things get a bit more interesting.. they are a fun little rocker with a slight lift on the mid range.. but not as bad as with the evo's.. Getting the positioning and stereo imaging right with these is annoying due to their size and design.. you really need their dedicated stands and its fiddly and time consuming to try and find that sweet spot....

The main difference here is the Linton is tube friendly (but.. matching the valve power is hard.. as @Ugg10 mentioned due to their sensitivity.. you would have to use the 4ohm tap). it's a fun little rocker.. it's not the best stereo imager or the most balanced of sound.. but its a true 3 way that plays and plays well "once" you have found its sweet spot..

What amps would i use on it...
PS Audio Sprout (class d) works awesome...
Audiolab 6000 or higher.. quick, responsive, smooth
Rega Elicit-R or the Elex-R for that matter
Line Magnetic LM-34iA valve... (just a bog standard EL34 setup giving 40w/c in a class A/B .. nothing fancy there in spec but works really well)

Few other partnerships to note...
Audio Affair spec the Linton with the Icon Audio Stereo 40 out of interest...
Sevenoaks spec the Linton with the new Leak Stereo 130...

I think overall the Linton has the edge on the sound.. but you absolutely must demo these with different amps... they are not straightforward buy and throw in a room.. be prepared to spend time trying different amp combo's till you find one that works in a shop demo.. then arrange a home demo .... for the final test.. This is vital for these as you can so easily go wrong

I use a Valve amplifier with 40w per channel output. My room is 6m x 3.5m. My music tastes are mainly " Easy Listening" James Last Orchestra, Bert Kaempfert etc plus some big band music and musicals. I also like most of the 60's groups. Hope this helps. Thank you.
I think you would be happy with the Linton’s. I have had mine for a few weeks and they are breaking in nicely. My only note of reservation is regarding what you listen to as I have found they can be a bit wall of sound/smeary with orchestral music...though they are improving in this regard as they break in.
The Linton’s look great, are genuinely full range, offering a natural tonality and realistic timbre throughout that range, there is no bass overhang or bloat. I am replacing some MA silver 10s and I intend to do some comparisons between the 2 in a couple of weeks.

I haven’t heard the Evo’s.

Hello everyone,
I have a question, which one would you suggest wharfedale Linton or Kef R500?

Amplifier Audiolab 8300
Music preference Rock Metal and some Jazz.

Thank you in advance
Mel

Hi Mel,

This is a really old thread so rather than adding to it, I would start a new thread if I were you - more folk will see it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom