WHARFEDALE EVO 4.2

Jaded1

Established Member
Reaction score
Relatively new speakers that so far have flown under the radar. However reading up on a US forum there is a definite buzz coming from people there who have heard these. They sound like awesome speakers for the price.

Anybody here heard them? There's nowhere near me that I can get a demo on them. I am tempting to take a blind punt.

couple questions first before this gets answered..
1st.. where are you based
2nd.. what kit do you have currently
3rd.. what music
4th.. what size room/ and type of room (i.e ground floor solid floor, first floor on wood, etc)

I heard the floorstanders, EVO 4.4 and this was during me listening to several others, MA Bronze 6, QA 3050i, some Tannoys and some Wharfedale 230's which I purchased, I found them every bit as good as anything else I was listening to and substantially cheaper.

It was pretty much incidental that I got to hear the EVO 4.4, I wish I hadn't heard them.

Circumstances conspired that fateful day in December and even as I sit here now writing this farewell note I am devising ways to buy a pair of them without my good lady noticing any financial transactions occurring and thinking if I buy the black coloured ones she might not notice , perhaps swap them over one at a time, any suggestions welcome.

Sometimes in life we encounter things that we just know we have to have, damn the torpedo's.

Lol

How did find the sound compared to the 3050i?

To be honest it wasn't an ideal audition, I didn't compare the Evo 4.4 with any others that I was looking at , the comparison would have been a bit pointless and more so a bit unfair etc, I think. It wasn't an intense listening session with my own sort of music, but I was immediately aware that they were oceans apart sonically from anything I had heard, especially the high frequency, difficult to explain.

I have to say though, these weren't the 4.2, these were the bigger of the two floorstanders, though am guessing their sonic characters will be similar.

Hoping Richer's will get these in so I can go and get a listen.

As if by magic Richer's have got these now and the Revel's I'm considering. I'm going to audition both soon.

Well Richer's don't actually have these in stock. They are apparently a "special order line" which basically means when you buy them they order them from the manufacture for you.

It's a bit of a **** about isn't it because if you buy blind and don't like them you have to muck about returning them.

How else are you supposed to see if you like something before buying?

I would contact Wharfedale direct and explain the situation as your point is totally valid etc. You never know your luck and surely worth a try ?
Ultimately whats the point making a top quality product to hopefully sell and then making it almost impossible for the consumer to actually listen to the product.

There's a review on pages 46-48 of the current issue of Hi-Fi Choice.
(Issue No. 460, March 2020)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom