Wharfedale E90 vs Jade 7 Vincent Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Jlfuess, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Jlfuess

Jlfuess
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a mint set of E90 wharfedale speakers running with a luxman m117 w/tp 117 preamp. I have read that these speakers really sing with tube amps. Don’t believe it! They are incredible with Lux solid state system. I bought a Vincent tube hybrid SV-236 MK and it sounded awful. Luckily I had a set of Wharfedale Jade 7’s that I did not think sounded as good as the E-90’s running on Luxman L100 and M117 amp.

I tried the Vincent hybrid tube on the Jade 7’s and they came to life. They are so true(bland) that they really needed the modern tube hybrid set up. They are now my favorite set up of all time. I used the L100 Luxman as the phono preamp for now, and it works so well I am not sure it is worth the money to buy the Vincent pho 8 tube preamp. In a nut shell these are 2 fantastic systems.

First you can have real Hifi on a budget with the E90’s and used m117/tp117 lux gear. You won’t be disappointed. Second you can have a super high end system using the Wharfedale Jade 7 And the Vincent a tube hybrid 236 mk in perfect used condition. I was thinking of selling the Jade 7 and Vincent until I plugged them up together. Wow!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick google search indicates that the Vincents are actually solid state in the output (power) section, and they use tubes for input section (why? is beyond me) - further the Vincents operate in class A for the first 10 watts only. That alone explains your findings.
    Frankly, tube input stages are not superior in any way to solid states, nor do they have a warm, tuneful , blah blah sound, that is just hype!
    Tube power sections on the other hand, do have certain characteristics in their tonal, dynamics of distortion patterns etc. which one can loosely call a tube sound, though top grade tube amps are very difficult to spot in listening rooms.
    Luxman was a high grade Japanese amplifier manufacturer, they used to take pride in the sound and engineering of their products.