Wharfedale DX-2 Subwoofer - DEAD

I wouldn't go replacing components willy nilly. For example, on mine, the two mosfets (circled in red) are not short circuited, they could have failed, but then they could be fine.

The two rectifiers (circled in green) are supposed to be shorted between the two outer pins, so it's likely they are fine too.
so do you have any idea which parts failed ?

My retailer Exceptional AV | HiFi, Speakers, Home Cinema & More contacted Warfedhale about my issue, Warfedhale came back proposing to look at the problem for the same cost that was proposed to you @Puntoboy (55£ + cost of parts + transport).
Considering that my subwoofer is not even 3years old and hasn’t moved a single inch for all those years I not happy to pay a single penny to get this sorted. It is either a product defect or planned obsolescence.
Considering that this thread is barely 2 weeks old and we are already 3 with the same problem here I think this is a wider issue…

Anyway, now I’m hoping for the guys from exceptional av to be able to convince Warfedhale to cover the cost of the repair.

As mentioned above, I don't think they've actually changed the design for years. The PCB inside says the model on another subwoofer.

I've ordered a new PCB for mine, it'll be here in a couple of weeks.

Hello.
I have the same problem and I detected that the faulty components are the zener diodes d11 and d12 (both are connected to the mosfets).
¿The problem? I don´t know the value of the diodes (they are faulty so I can´t check them) and I didn´t found the service manual on internet. It is a shame because the cost of the diodes is less than 1$

Hello.
I have the same problem and I detected that the faulty components are the zener diodes d11 and d12 (both are connected to the mosfets).
¿The problem? I don´t know the value of the diodes (they are faulty so I can´t check them) and I didn´t found the service manual on internet. It is a shame because the cost of the diodes is less than 1$
i am planning to fix it myself. Is there any code that i can search and buy online for the d11 and d12? Thanks.

I'm having a similar issue with my DX-2 subwoofer. The power supply section intermittently fails to start up but once agitated will start and run perfectly. I've checked the wire-to-board connections and they are good so I suppose it's likely to be a cracked solder joint or failing component. I believe I checked most of the capacitors with an LCR meter but can't be sure I did them all as this was about a year ago. I'm intending to perform furthest diagnostics but will follow this thread in the meantime.

I’m in the same boat guys just for your info. My
DX-2 sub just conked out the other night. Completely dead. I’m no electronics expert but checked the fuse, the plug fuse at least and all fine. Obviously a problem with this product. I’ve had it for 4 years. Pretty poor really. I got mine from richer sounds so will enquire re. warranty but doubt it will be covered.

Tbh i’m tempted to go with another brand. Don’t trust wharfdale now, especially after reading this thread. Best of luck with ur repairs guys 🤞🏻

Last edited:
There are numbers on the diodes, I can't make them out when on the board, but if you have removed them, can you see them?
I´m afraid not. The ¿numbers? on the diodes are not legible. I´m still trying to find the schematics (with no luck) so any help will be appreciated.

New PSU arrived today, fitted and my subwoofer is working once again. Some small differences between old and new but nothing major.

New left, old right.

1651144419769.jpeg

1651144505166.jpeg

Hi guys just to let you that my retailler contacted Wharfedhale on my behalf and managed to get them to repair my subwoofer without any labour cost. I would just have to pay for the repaired components. I think that is reasonable so will send it to them.

@ElectricGeek I would also refrain buying from Warfedale until we know more about that fault. The minimum would be for them to aknowledge, explain and assume it...

Well add another one to the club i have just noticed my DX-2 has also died checked the fuses and they are fine so it must be the PSU like above 😒.

@Puntoboy were did you get your replacement board from ? i don't mind giving it a go myself if it's not to expensive.

Thanks.

Scratch that i can't be bothered with the hassle so have just ordered the SW-150 to replace it ☺️

Last edited:
Just as an FYI for anyone else. I contacted Wharfedale and was given the contact details for their repair department.

Rob Flain, IAG Group Service Manager for: Quad - AudioLab – Wharfedale/PRO - Mission - Castle - Luxman
Address: IAG Service department, Units 13/14, Glebe Road, St Peters Industrial Estate, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 7DL
Tel number: + 44 (0)1480 447706
Email: Rob Flain <[email protected]>

Also had the same issue last week. Ended up just buying the SW-150 from AV.com at the weekend as it was down to £135. Got the extended 10 year warranty for an extra £11 as well, given what happened with the DX-2 here. Unfortunately the SW-150 is giving off a low electrical hum that is bugging me in the quiet of night, which the DX-2 didn't do. If anyone else gets the SW-150, please let me know if yours is the same.

Also had the same issue last week. Ended up just buying the SW-150 from AV.com at the weekend as it was down to £135. Got the extended 10 year warranty for an extra £11 as well, given what happened with the DX-2 here. Unfortunately the SW-150 is giving off a low electrical hum that is bugging me in the quiet of night, which the DX-2 didn't do. If anyone else gets the SW-150, please let me know if yours is the same.

Yeah my sw-150 has slight hum also. Audible from couple of feet away. Or in dead silence at night about 8' away barely hear it.

Yeah my sw-150 has slight hum also. Audible from couple of feet away. Or in dead silence at night about 8' away barely hear it.
Damn, that's really disappointing. I was hoping a replacement would sort it, but it sounds like this is maybe expected functionality. 😞

It doesn't fuss me, it's not that loud. Plus a have tinnitus anyway.

The svs sb13 and dual monoprice 13" are silent no hum although if you go right close you hear slight amount of hiss aubibke about 6" away

I was up with my newborn last night and the hum was very much audible alongside the low volume TV audio from 8 feet or so away. It's definitely enough to irk me. I also have tinnitus, but have a habit of being easily annoyed by unwanted noise. 😅 I guess I may just have to learn to live with it, or look for a different sub.

I was up with my newborn last night and the hum was very much audible alongside the low volume TV audio from 8 feet or so away. It's definitely enough to irk me. I also have tinnitus, but have a habit of being easily annoyed by unwanted noise. 😅 I guess I may just have to learn to live with it, or look for a different sub.

I think class d PSU less likely to have power supply hum

I received my SW-150 on Tuesday and can't say i have noticed any audible hum, i watch tv mainly at night on low volume so it should be pretty obvious.

I am using a single Mark Grant cable from my av receiver to the sub have you tired another cable to see if it helps with the hum or tried moving the mains cable.

It doesn't fuss me, it's not that loud. Plus a have tinnitus anyway.

The svs sb13 and dual monoprice 13" are silent no hum although if you go right close you hear slight amount of hiss aubibke about 6" away
For SVS solving hum sound is just plugging in a USB to its port. Not sure if it is the same for SW-150

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom