Wharfedale DVDRHD400F DTT/DVDR/HDD 80Gb

Stuart Brooks

Standard Member
Reaction score
£199 from Argos, first such product to break the £200 barrier. Anyone taken the plunge with this yet? Might try and find out more info from Argos, as being a DTT product, there would be no refund if for example it lacked some functionality such as simultaneous record from SCART and view Freeview etc.

Stuart

Stuart Brooks said:
£199 from Argos, first such product to break the £200 barrier. Anyone taken the plunge with this yet? Might try and find out more info from Argos, as being a DTT product, there would be no refund if for example it lacked some functionality such as simultaneous record from SCART and view Freeview etc.

Stuart

I don't know about breaking the barrier?
The 80 Gig Aldi box has it's own twin Freeview tuner in it's DVD recorder for £99 a while back.
I t's probably no longer available now but Aldi usually bring new ones out every 6 months or so.
You may find discussions on this forum of interest.
http://www.ukexpert.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=1514

Regards
knotpc

knotpc said:
I don't know about breaking the barrier?
The 80 Gig Aldi box has it's own twin Freeview tuner in it's DVD recorder for £99 a while back.
I t's probably no longer available now but Aldi usually bring new ones out every 6 months or so.
You may find discussions on this forum of interest.
http://www.ukexpert.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=1514

Regards
knotpc

The Aldi box is only a PVR, there is no DVD recorder in it! There is nothing this side of £500 with a twin DTT and DVDR in the one box.

I already posted about this a while back -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380984

I came to the conclusion for just £50 more you can get a vastly superior Toshiba RD85DT model (with twice as big a hard disk - 160Gb). So why bother risking it?

Stuart Brooks said:
There is nothing this side of £500 with a twin DTT and DVDR in the one box.
I didn't know there was anything over £500 either. What make/model?

Stuart Brooks said:
The Aldi box is only a PVR, there is no DVD recorder in it! There is nothing this side of £500 with a twin DTT and DVDR in the one box.

I seem to remember a DVD recorder in my local Aldi recently as having Freeview and Hard drive, I thought it it was the one they were refering to in that thread, my:oops: mistake.
I can't remember how much the Aldi one was but I remember it as cheap, but probably had only one Freeview tuner.
Or maybe I mistook the PVR for a DVD recorder, I must be getting old and senile!

Regards
knotpc

bradavon78 said:
I already posted about this a while back -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380984

I came to the conclusion for just £50 more you can get a vastly superior Toshiba RD85DT model (with twice as big a hard disk - 160Gb). So why bother risking it?

I didn't know there was anything over £500 either. What make/model?
Last Toshiba I bought turned out to be a rebadged Beko, despite Toshiba's claims it wasn't. So even a Tosh is a risk these days.

The Reelbox supposedly is the only Twin DTT PVR / DVDR but on their website it seems only to be a DVD player.

has anybody bought this yet ? as Id like to get one myself but not to sure as there arnt may reviews on it anywhere

That isn't relevant to this thread...you gave the impression you knew of rebadged Toshiba DVDRs...which isn't the case as Toshiba manufacture their own.
BTW the 28N33 TV is not a rebadged Beko...it is a Vestel designed chassis also used by other manufacturers inc Hitachi, JVC, Sharp etc.

That isn't relevant to this thread...you gave the impression you knew of rebadged Toshiba DVDRs...which isn't the case as Toshiba manufacture their own.
BTW the 28N33 TV is not a rebadged Beko...it is a Vestel designed chassis also used by other manufacturers inc Hitachi, JVC, Sharp etc.

All I gave the impression of was the last Toshiba (anything) I bought was not a Toshiba under the skin. Yes it was a Vestel not a Beko; this is a snip of my email to Toshiba:
I bought this TV believing it to be a genuine Toshiba, but the
rather tinny sound quality got me wondering. Then I noticed that the menus
were identical to a friend's Bush 28" TV, and what's more, the remote is
identical too! Could you please check if this model is a Toshiba designed
and manufactured TV, or is it a rebadged Vestel item?

After a response which stated that they only sold equipment made by themselves, I replied thus:
I'm afraid that the information you have given me is wrong.

http://www.vestel.com.tr/Dev_En/corporate/basinodasi/VsMagazineSummaries.htm

Vestel would seem to disagree with you too.

Also the Toshiba uses the 11AK37 chassis which is in fact the same as used by sets branded by Alba, Bush, Goodmans, JMB and Matsui, precisely the sort of Vestel basic set I was thinking that i was avoiding by buying a Toshiba.

Ref http://www.eserviceinfo.com/chassis2model.php

to which I did not get a reply.

The relevance to this thread was risking purchasing an item from Aldi (post by BradAvon) and I was pointing out that buying from a big brand like Toshiba is also a risk, particularly if the company deliberately obscures the facts around which products they do actually design and build themselves (and therefore worth the rewarding of brand loyalty) and those which they just stick a badge and a slightly different plastic housing on.

I honestly don't know how much of their DVDRs are their own design, but I know that if I ask Toshiba I will be no wiser. It does seem strange though that unlike similar offerings from Sony and Panasonic, this DVDR/HDD shares a key feature with the supermarket offerings i.e. no RGB in.

All I gave the impression of was the last Toshiba (anything).

I just thought anyone casually reading this (including myself) would have been under the impression you were referring to a DVDR...you didn't state "Toshiba (anything)" in your post.

It does seem strange though that unlike similar offerings from Sony and Panasonic

The Panasonic DMR-ES15EB does not have RGB in as do one or two of the earlier Sony models.
Manufacturers often include a "budget" model in their line-up leaving out features such as this to keep the costs down.

I just thought anyone casually reading this (including myself) would have been under the impression you were referring to a DVDR...you didn't state "Toshiba (anything)" in your post.

The Panasonic DMR-ES15EB does not have RGB in as do one or two of the earlier Sony models.
Manufacturers often include a "budget" model in their line-up leaving out features such as this to keep the costs down.

That Panny is just a DVDR not one of those DTT HDD DVDR combi things.
Sony - they badge Vestel too don't they - well for their PVR at any rate, charging twice as much as a similar Bush in Sainsburys!

I might go for the Sony 860 at some point - its still cheaper than the VCR which has just packed up. Or a Panny or Pioneer..... but certainly not the Toshiba!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom