wharfedale diamonds or MA radius package

S L KING

Standard Member
I am thinking of getting the wharfedale diamond 9.4, 9cs and 9dfs package or the MA radius 270 for front, 225 centre and 180 for rear. They will be partnered by bk monolith in a converted garage. Which will be the better choice? the system will be used for films and gaming, not music.

thanks in advance

xmb

There's a big difference in price between the Wharfedale and Monitor Audio Radius you mention. The R270HD costs £600 a pair against £200 for the Wharfedales!

Maybe you are looking at the older model Radius speakers? If so they are available at bargain prices (as long as you don't want black as your colour choice).

If you were thinking of spending £600 just on the front pair then get the Silver RS6! I know if I had the space I would buy them, but as wife and space won't allow I have the R270HD for the front, RS-LCR for centre and the older R270 for the rear. The reason for the odd mix was an intention to convince the wife the RS6 were not too big after we had the R270HD for a while. But as it happens the R270HD are quite good so when I could get the old R270 for £219 I decided to do it (wife did not want the wall mounted RS-FX).

For you I would get the Silver RS-FX for the rear surrounds, a RS-LCR for the centre (assuming you can mount is off the wall on a shelve as it is rear ported, if not use a R250) and, if price permits, get the RS6 for fronts. If not get the old R270 for £219 and save up!

S L KING

Standard Member
Thanks xmb for your detailed reply.

Yes, i was thinking about the old radius model. My budget is about £1000 including subwoofer, so the rs6 are out of question.

xmb, what subwoofer are you using? are the R270 good for rear surround? I'm not sure weather to go for bipolar or unidirectional rear speakers.

xmb

I have the RSW12 sub, so is maybe a little too expensive by comparison with the Monolith but has very tight and controlled bass suitable for the music my wife likes to listen to.

The R270 are fine for surrounds, if a bit of an overkill but the RS-FX may provide a better rear surround field. They can be used in either normal or bi-polar mode so give you the chance to experiment for the best sound. (Again my wife did not want speakers mounted on the wall so that is why I ended up with the R270s.)

If your budget would stretch you cold go for the RS1s as the front pair so you almost (except sub) have a full Monitor Audio system, then as funds allow you could upgrade the front to the RS6s. It's always nice to have a goal then you have future up-grades to look forward to!

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom