1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Diamond Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wheatoyed, Jan 28, 2002.

1. wheatoyed

wheatoyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone out there using these speakers for home cinema. I was going to plunge for mission m73, m7c, m7ds but What Hi-Fi rated the Diamond 8.3 as a better stereo pair and I can buy the Wharfedales cheap at a local hi-fi outlet.

Any views and opinions welcome

2. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent question...I started out with a demo for the KEF EGGs, but now after I heard the Mission Cinema 7 or boy, there is music & there is MUSIC !!!!

But then there's the Cinema 8s & the Diamonds 8.3 too....decisions, decisions

Anybody ?....

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go listen to them... that's the one, unbreakable rule to buying speakers. Try before you buy.

Tried the Wharfedales. In my opinion, no way do they better the M73's. Not by a long way, even for music. In my opinion.

4. wheatoyed

wheatoyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon....I take your point about listening to them but unfortunately Northern Ireland is not blessed with many quality hi-fi outlets. The best ones only deal in 'high end' products that are beyond my budget. The shop I refered to only sell the Wharfedale speakers as stereo pairs i.e. no centre.

I have read many of your postings and you're obviously a huge mission fan. My only concern has been about their reputation as being 'bright' do you think they would sound fine with my Yamaha 620 amp which is also noted for its up front sound.

Cheers

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My liking of Mission is a bit noticable ain't it? Ah well, I've admitted to being a bit bias before, but only because I truly do like Mission speakers over everything else (in the price range).

As for the Yamaha AX620 - funnily enough I use this amp. Great piece of kit. Goes fantastically with my M73's, 77ds rears and 77c1. I also have the m7c1 strangely enough. A match made in my personal budgeted heaven. Of course, it's my opinion.

Isn't there anywhere you could get a demo, or a loan? Even a dreaded Richer Sounds?

6. wheatoyed

wheatoyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a Richer Sounds in Belfast but their stock of speakers is pathetic. The other outlet is Audio Times who stock most of the Mission range. I had a demo from them some time ago but they are amazingly reluctant to change amp / speaker combinations.

I am interested that you use 77 series centre and rears with an m series front pair. Do you think they affer a distinct advantage over the equivalent m series speakers. I did have some doubts over the m7c

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They're better quality speakers in my mind. The 77ds are far better than the m7ds, even though the latter is supposed to be more powerful. The centres I can't make my mind up about, but I think I'm leaning towards the 77c1 more and more.

Go into those stores, explain what you want to hear, that you're in the market, and as the customer, insist. If they want your business, they're going to have to cater for you properly.

8. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey pointon, what sub do you use for your 77 series?

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Only one of my centres and my rears are from the 77 series. My mains are M73s from the M70 series.

I am often cruicified for this, but I do not use a sub. If you saw the space I have for my HC setup, you'd know why. It's half a bedroom. A couple of floorstanders, which only just fit into the spaces allocated, provide all the bass I can possibly need at the moment in such a space, as well as being next to neighbours.

Also, I'm not exactly raking it in, being between my status as a drop out and student. I'm of the opinion that a decent sub should set you back at least £500 brand new. Any less, really isn't worth having.

One day, I will have a sub. It will be big, loud and expensive, just like the room it will be in. One day...:rolleyes: