1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale diamond serie: warm or bright?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Llanowar, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would people that own speakers from the recent wharfedale diamont serie describe the sound: is it warm, neutral, bright or agressive??

I'm planning on buying four 9.1's or 9.2's....and i really hate bright/agressive speakers like the jmlab's i've got at the moment!

2. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to the Diamond 9.4 and the Focal Chorus 714s the day after.

I think the Diamonds are neutral/warm and the Chorus S are neutral/bright, never agressive...

Have you got japanese bright/agressive electronics?

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For surround i've got my yamaha stuff (neutral to bright, but i really like that for movies!) and that's great with the labs, i haven't heard any other speaker that's this good in surround for that price.

For stereo i got NAD, but for music it's too bright for my liking...but good to see wharfedale goes more towards warm...thanks :)
    On what did you listen it by the way?

By the way i got the jmlab 714s, if you like their sound, they are GREAT, really good integration and awesomely detailed, i just think their tweater is agressive which some will like and some won't.

4. Bee-Man

Bee-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am running Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's with a Primare A30.1 and would say the sound definately is warm - till you wind the Primare up past 50, then it starts to really kick in with bass and mid in abundance.

Funny thing is - and I appreciate it, regardless of how loud I play this system, it is comparatively gentle on the ears.....

Regards,

Bee-Man.

5. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The Diamonds are warm, no question of it.

Aggressive sounding gear will bring balance to the Wharfs. sorry.

6. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I've spent a fair deal of time listening to my fathers Chorus 716 hearing it driven by the likes of Anatek A50s and NVA pre/pro and Arcam Solo with sources by Roksan, Micromega and Arcam again. There is absolutely no way that tweeter could be described as aggressive and I'm sure you'll miss the fantastic detail if you switch to Wharfdale.

Have you tried toeing the speakers in to reduce reflections from the side walls of the room? What speaker cables are you using? What is your source component? It's not a DVD player is it?

Russell