1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Diamond 9 Home Cinema Package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dvdsubtitles, Oct 11, 2004.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Diamond 9.0 are nothing like the 9.1 that have been reviewed, they are a very small standard box shape speaker the centre is also very small. I haven't tried the sub but it would have to be pretty good to save the package.

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really don't like the diamonds 9's do you bobby lad :rolleyes:

4. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe all the Diamond 9 Series speakers have the curved shaped, not standard box shape.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apart from the 9.0 which was boxed shape when it was in my hand yesterday.
    I have nothing against them i just hate the way people have pushed them up higher than they should be like the diamond 8s. They are in my list of worth demoing for some people, not a must buy or a must demo. Some people will love them, I caould make quite a list of speakers I would rather listen to for the price!!

6. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hmmm... I don't want to start an argument, nor do I think people's opinions should be surpressed, but your comments might wind some people up. Why ? Well... you say:

"I have nothing against them i just hate the way people have pushed them up higher than they should be like the diamond 8s."

'Higher than they should be' - well that's your opinion obviously. If you find yourself disagreeing with the other people's opinions then that's fine, but is there really need for you to jump into every Diamond thread and tell everyone that you don't like them? You say other people really like them, so why not leave it at that ? The sarcastic comments made above (and by myself) relate to the fact that you're jumping in all the time and trying to heavily influence people's opinions. You're not 'in' the discussion, you're just slating, justifying your more outspoken stance on the premise that you're a dealer.

I think you simply need to get over the fact that some other enthusiasts like a speaker that you don't. It happens to us all at some point: we find ourselves not liking something that others do. But it's not appropriate use of your keyboard to go jumping in to each thread preaching that any particular product is overated. In the best possible manner, I'd just like to point out that it does become *mildly* irritating - that kind of approach.

It's *only* when you've been criticised that you moderate your tone and start saying "Some people might like them, you need to demo them" - before you were just stating that they were no good. A demo is always best surely, rather than just saying "No".

The point is: it's equally no good for YOU to go dictating to people what to buy, as it is for the magazines to do it. That's what's wound some people up. The "go demo it" approach is much better because there's no absolutes here.

I'm sorry to bang on, but speakers are a personal thing (hence why there's so many of them), but you're not portaying it like that and that's what's irritating. I was a dealer for eight years, and never once talked to customers about products in that manner. The deal is to try and find out what is going to suit that customer, rather than being dismissive about things that clearly don't suit you.

I hope that doesn't offend too much.

:)

7. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with what you're saying. Criticism should be welcome as long as it is constructive.

Most people here know that they should "go demo it" before purchase. However, there may be some people like myself, who have hearing problems and so it is not easy for us to "go demo it". Instead I tend to rely heavily on many peoples' opinions, whether they are good or bad. Due to my hearing, I am not looking for the perfect speaker, I am looking for value for money.

Good quality sound makes a difference to me, but going out and listening to different speakers is too difficult, I don't have the ability to analyse what I'm hearing and judge which is better etc. - also I'm of the opinion that this would make little difference anyway as the demo room is never the same as your living room!

That reminds me, does anyone know of any service where a dealer could bring a variety of surround speakers packages to my home and demo them in my own living room, with my equipment? then that would REALLY help. I'd be able to hear of the "better" or more expensive speakers really do make a difference to me.

Cheers,
    Mat.

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Some dealers will do home demos and even come to your house and setup all the kit and let you demo. BUT they are usually very high-end dealers selling kit worth many thousands of pounds. Not really worth a dealer's time to do this with Wharfedale 9's unfortunately. :(

9. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the constructive critisiscm, After reading my posts on these speakers they don't sound quite like they are meant to be read. I apologise for anyone who took my personal opinions too seriously.
    The speakers really do have a much worse quality of finish than there equivelant prices, because sound is subjective there may be people who really enjoy these speakers. The point I am trying to make (badly) in my previous posts is that these speakers have been very well reviewed and alot of people will buy speakers off the back of a review. I think in this case there would be alot of happier people if they try equivelant priced speakers against these. I will try and make my future posts clearer and more concise.

11. TinHead88

TinHead88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a very old thread, but this comes up as one of the few hits when you do a search for Diamond 9.0 review so I thought I'd post my feelings about these little speakers.

I believe they are a bit overrated as they are certainly not neutral in tonal character. In fact they are very mellow speakers. Some might call them polite. I'd call them way too mellow and I even like mellow speakers in general. There's just too much missing in the high frequencies with these speakers. Some people report this as sounding unexciting. They are definitely a matter of taste. If you like a lot of midrange (and their midrange is quite nice) with very soft bass and high frequencies then you may like this speaker.

They might be good value because they are quite nice, but they are certainly not amazing as some reviews might have you believe.

12. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,276
    You can't expect champagne taste on a beer budget.

The Diamond 9.0 are what they are, and the do what they do. Considering the current very low price on the Diamonds, I would venture that there are few (few, not no) speakers that can touch them for sound quality.

Fleshed out into a full 5.1 system, similar to this -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH SW150 SUBWOOFER - Superfi UK

I don't think you can go wrong.

However, increasing the front speakers to Diamond 9.1/10.1 is a real step upward, and not that much more money. Certainly an upgrade well worth considering.

But, all that said, it is undeniable that any given piece of equipment, regardless of price, is equally live and hated by music lovers alike. We all have our own personal brain, our own personal ears, and our own personal taste, and we like what we like, and we don't like what we don't like.

But, the fact that I don't like something, doesn't mean that something isn't good. Personally, I just never got The Grateful Dead, but that reflects my taste, and is not a criticism of the quality of the band.

For anyone to say that something is not good simply because they don't like it, would be an error.

So, the Diamond 9.0 are a very highly regarded speaker, but you have to keep expectations in line with what you are buying. If you intend to be a professional DJ, then these are probably not the speaker for you. But if you need some decent cheap speaker for a small collage dorm stereo. They are probably OK. And if you need some speakers to fill out a small compact low cost yet high preformance surround sound, they are well worth considering.

The best thing to do is to listen to them, and you will either like them or you won't - problem solved. But, if you do like them, it will be little money and much to your advantage to upgrade the fronts to Diamond 9.1/10.1.

Currently a pair of Diamond 9.0 are only £60/pair, there is little you can buy for that price that will perform as well as these.

But then, that's just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

13. mrback

mrback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Gonna resurrect this thread to get some opinion, I currently have a 7.1 system with a wharfedale DX1 - HCP package & a couple of diamond 9.0 fronts. was gonna maybe change to all diamond 9.0s with a tannoy sfx sub & a monitor audio MR centre. would this be a worthwhile upgrade to the package?