Wharfedale Diamond 9.4/9.C/9.1 vs. Celestion F20/F35/F10?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kay, Jun 1, 2005.

1. kay

kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Any impressions of these two sets of speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 9.4/9.C/9.1 and Celestion F20/F35/F10? They are selling for roughly the same, would hook them up to a Yamaha RX-V450. Use for HT and music, 50/50. Not too picky about music as it's background mostly.

I can't seem to find many reviews online on either of them - just a bit on the Diamond's which says they're pretty good for the price. They also seem to go a bit lower according to their spec.

Thanks! :)

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Hi, Haven't tried the Celestions, but I've heard the Diamond 9.1's which I thought were very good indeed. In the end I went up to get the £379 Quad 11L's, But if I would have had to opt for the 9.1's I would have been more than happy with them. I thought all types of music were good on them. I think, although don't quote me on this, that the 9.4's haven't had as good reviews as the 9.1's. However, make sure you have a listen yourself. :)

T.

3. kay

kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll definitely have a listen to both. I also noticed that the 9.4's don't get such great reviews but it's a package deal and the price is really tempting :) My understanding is that while they're not "bad", people just don't feel the premium over the 9.1's is justified. However the price is such that it would be cheaper to buy the package than to buy four 9.1's plus a centre speaker.

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kay

Definately audition them first. You said they are roughly the same price so the decider comes down to how they sound. Speakers have different 'sounds' and qualities which only you will be able to tell which you prefer. I am assuming you have seen these in a store. If so ask them to demo both for you, preferably via a RXV 450. :smoke:

Skinny

5. kay

kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I definitely will audition them - unfortunately the two are at different stores so I won't be able to do it back to back. As you can see, I shrunk my budget quite substantially - decided to go small at first :) Hence the RX-V450 which is I think the best in that price range. Speakers will be a matter of taste then, it seems.

6. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Trust me, you will not stop upgrading your kit easily so sell any stock options now ;)

7. kay

kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too late, you have already begun, no it wont stop ! :suicide:

9. mooty1980

mooty1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have Celestion f30 and F35 speakers and i think they are great, and am looking for a pair of f10 or f15's to compliment them. they have stopped making this series i believe, do you know where to get the f10's from? as far as comparison goes i haven't heard lots of different speakers lately so i am no help..... sorry!