Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's + Amp or Cambridge Audio SLA25's? Or Alternative?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by You Failed, Jan 6, 2012.

1. You Failed

You Failed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to buy my first pair of speakers and I have very little experience with these things. My budget isn't very high, originally I only wanted to spend £150 max. I had decided on the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, which are £120 for the pair and quite highly rated, what I didn't realise is that I'd need an amp to go with them. I really can't afford to spend more than £100 on an amp, can I get one that will compliment the Wharfedale's for this price? I saw the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 is £80, would this be worth getting? Or are there other amps that are around the same price and better?

I was going to use them with my PC, get a sound card for ~£50, connect that to the amp and then run the speakers off the amp, would that work? How would it sound?

The alternative was a pair of Cambridge Audio SLA25s, which have an inbuilt amp and so can be connected straight to the PC and bypasses any soundcard, they're priced at £300 though. Would these sound better than the Wharfedale -> Amp -> Sound card option?

I also have a pair of HD555's, so ideally, if I was to get an amp, I'd want one that would allow me to connect my headphones as well.

So any ideas on which is the best option? Or any alternatives? £300 is really, really pushing my budget, but if it's going to create a better system then it might be worth it.

Thanks for the help.

2. mcnoiserdc

mcnoiserdc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well you could look at edifier r1600T or m-audio av40... those are powered so you won't need an amp, and seem to be well accepted from reviews I have read around.

3. You Failed

You Failed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, are they even going to be in the same league as the two options I've mentioned before though? I do ideally want the best sound quality I can get for my money and I can definitely afford to spend around £200, which would be the price of the wharfedale's + amp. Are there any other active speaker sets that are between £150-£200 that would be a better option than the wharfedales?

I really do like the look of the SLA25s and the fact that they're powered really would be a massive convenience, the guy I spoke to in Richer Sounds said they'd also provide much better sound quality that the Wharfedale's. So is there anything similar to those, with a lower price tag but sound quality that is comparable to the two options I've mentioned?

4. mcnoiserdc

mcnoiserdc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    No, I don't know.
    I mentioned those two because I had a budget of £ 100, I mostly use headphones (I own a few good ones), so those came up often from other people recommendation.

5. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've recently purchased the diamond 9.1 speakers to replace my old Mission 701's and they are amazing, really happy with them... Using them with an old Cambridge Audio A5 amp which is pretty basic and cheap... Seen one on eBay for 50 quid recently...

6. You Failed

You Failed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah all the reviews for them are really great and getting them with an amp still does seem like the cheaper option. So I might have to do that, the next question is which amp... £50 for the A5 seems like a good deal.

I was also looking at the Pioneer A105? Does anyone know if this would be a good amp to pair with the Wharfedale's?