1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 question / problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by neenaw, Dec 15, 2004.

1. neenaw

neenaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi. I just got a pair of the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 bookshelf speakers along with a NAD amplifier and cd player. I also got QED speaker cable and connectors. So, I was setting it all up today when I got to connecting the speaker cable and hit a problem! The instruction manual says they need bare wire that you put through the hole and turn the screw down to fasten it. But I don't have bare wire, I have connectors! Is there no way to use connectors with these speakers? I'm a complete newbie as far as seperates go and I spoke to the guy who sold me all the hifi parts and he assured me I needed 8 connectors for the speaker cable (we were speaking cos I supposedly hadn't ordered enough connectors in my initial order). Was he wrong? Is bare cable a necessity? Thanks for any help you can give! :thumbsup:

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not familiar with the diamond 9.1s but I would imagine they have "binding posts" for you to connect the speaker cable to as most quality speakers do. Most binding posts can be used with or without "connectors" - presumably banana plugs or something similar? Using banana plugs is a lot more convenient and as long as they are good quality ones the connection will be sound. connecting using bare wire gives a better connection in theory and one that is definitely more secure. If you have the "connectors" you might as well use them, just push them into the hollow in the centre of the binding posts. If you really do need to use bare wire then removing the connectors shouldn't be too difficult. If they are banana plugs then unscrew the plastic barrell and you will then see where the wire is secured to the metal pin, probably with the use of a couple of little screws down the side. unscrew the little screws and you will be left with the bare wire. If you can't figure that out then just snip the connectors off and strip off enough of the sheath to expose say an inch of wire. Presto.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    What Qed wire did you get, silver anniversary/micro/micro silver...?

Also were the connectors you used official QED Airlocs?

If so, I wouldn't cut these off as they are expensive as it is and the Airlocs provide great termination. I'm not familar with the Diamond 9.1's but there will be a way to put banana plugs in there, it will probably involve a screwdriver and some brute force but you will get there. Just give your local dealer a call, or call Wharfedale.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Unscrew the terminal all the way- so it comes off. This will reveal a plastic plug that can be levered out with a knife/screwdriver.

Done.

5. neenaw

neenaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey there. Yeah I've got the silver anniversary cable with the airloc banana plugs.

I'll try your suggestions later when I'm over in the flat. When I was unscrewing the terminal before tho it came to a point where it stopped - it couldn't screw all the way off. I should probably ring the store.

Thanks for your help guys!

6. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143

Ding !, Then you can push your connectors in. European safety legislation outlawed 4mm connectors some time ago, hence manufacturers cannot refer to them in the manuals. But the advice given above will safely allow you to plug your plugs in.

7. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    In which case don't worry. You don't need to unscrew the terminal, it just makes the job marginally easier. Those red/black little plastic lugs that you're trying to remove won't be glued in place. Dig the penknife into them slightly to get a grip, then flick them out. That will reveal a hole that matches the size of your connectors.