Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. Does the sound change much after running in?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
They arrived this morn, still waiting for my av amp so I pulled the speaker cable out of my old mission floorstanders and plugged in the 9.1s to try them out before putting them in the cinema room. They sound different to the missions that I've had for years although I can't be too surprised at that. Not sure if I like the sound or not at the moment...

I've only had them on for half hour and not too loud either and I've read they take 50hrs to run in. So what can I expect to change soundwise?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Hmm. They don't sound harsh. If anything I'd like if the treble was a bit more prominent. They don't exactly sound muffled exactly but the treble doesn't seem to have the bite I like. I hope that doesn't get even less pronounced when run in.

Maybe the new amp will wake them up a bit.

ChrisAV

To be honest, it's hard to remember exactly how they sounded when I first got them, the treble seems fine on mine now -crisp and clear (if anything a bit too bright, but I thnk that's down to my room accoustics - extremely 'live'). Pretty certain they have more bass now though.

Chris

ARNOLD AKIEN

They arrived this morn, still waiting for my av amp so I pulled the speaker cable out of my old mission floorstanders and plugged in the 9.1s to try them out before putting them in the cinema room. They sound different to the missions that I've had for years although I can't be too surprised at that. Not sure if I like the sound or not at the moment...

I've only had them on for half hour and not too loud either and I've read they take 50hrs to run in. So what can I expect to change soundwise?

All speakers sound harsh out of the Box. My new bedroom Stereo system .. well, see here ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/923404-standmounts-close-wall.html

" You already know that speakers do need to settle in over a couple of weeks regular playing but even on straight out of the box standards it did seem to me that the Tannoys sounded particularly Harsh at first ... though it didn't help that, at first, they were sitting on a chest of drawers. I did consider those Wharfedales but, all sentiment aside .. nearly 40 years ago my first decent stereo speakers were based on a Wharfedale DIY speaker drive unit kit .. the Tannoys won on price.

Ah, well .. maybe the " WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 ANNIVERSARY SPEAKERS (PAIR) " will go down in price a bit ... "

Give them a couple of weeks .. my new system will never match my main system - B and W mix of 700 and 600 series plus BK sub - but its stereo staging, depth and width of image and voicing have improved so much over the past couple of days those speakers can scarcely be called the same speakers ... which of course they aren't. :devil:

Arnold.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Harshness is certainly not a problem. I decided to put a bit of lord of the rings on, as that is what I bought the speakers for, films. It sounded brilliant. I can't believe how much sound comes out of them. They're not very big but they sound like they are. A pair of 9.2s and the rest to get my cinema set up going. Hopefully should sound good!

DaveBirch

Standard Member
I got my Diamonds 9.1 two weeks ago and at 1st i also thought they did not sound that good. However after listening and using them the sound is now excellent.
I have them connected to the Denon 3808 which i have just upgraded to the 3808A wow what a difference the sound is now. The best £65 spent for this AMP firmware upgrade.

I am using the 9.1 as rear SL and SR, the 9.1cs for Centre and the SW150 for the sub. Front is via two Wharfedales Modus 7 125 watt floor standings as FR and FL, brand new but 10 year old and never been out of the box until two weeks ago.

My amp will allow bi-amp of the front speakers, will bi-amping these Modus 7 speakers, improve the front stereo sound (not that it is bad now), i have been told by a local dealer that bi-amping gives better results for lower end speakers. I have searched everywhere and can not fine a clear answer?

Last edited:

ChrisAV

I have searched everywhere and can not fine a clear answer?

You won't, it's debatable! There are however sound argumnets in its favour (certainly more compelling than the argument for bi-wiring anyway), whether or not you will notice, only you can tell. The only thing I would say, is bi-amping should be low on your priorities, after sorting out room accoustics and speaker placement.

Also, just for the record I thought my Diamonds sounded great out of the box, but that was compared to an old pair of JPW mini-momitors. I think they sound even better now. :)

Chris

DaveBirch

Standard Member
Well I have bi-amped them this morning and I would say it has made a noticable improvement to the sound quality. You are right about finding a clear answer even Wharfedales web site is unclear with just the vauge statement that you should hear a difference if you bi-amp their speakers.

string6

Standard Member
Got to say, I'm well impressed with my Diamond 9.1's. They sound and look the absolute business! :smashin:
Crank 'em up and they really love it. I run a Onkyo TX-SR507 into mine, match made in heaven for a very good price. I bought two pairs (for front and rear) at under £200 the lot. Beautiful. :rolleyes:

No problems recommending them here, had mine a only a week so far. All mounted on metal stands.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom