Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and Harman Kardon AVR 5000 in stereo with JBL sub

Trevor Reznik

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Ive just joined in. I currently have a Harman Kardon AvR 5000 as main amp and a pair of JBL N28 bookshelves as well as a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 i'd like to get your views if which will be the best pair to match the amp? I wanted a stereo setup only for music purposes. I don't know what it means by bright sounding or warm sounding. Right now im leaning on keeping the diamonds and selling the jbls, will it be a decent set up?

Thanks.

Do you already have both sets of speakers and the amp?

IMO it would be best to do a direct comparison, pick a song you know well and try it with both speakers in the same position at the same volume and keep the set that sounds best to you.

I personally have a set of Diamond 9.1s and I think they're excellent speakers. I have no experience with those JBLs though so I can't comment on them.

Thanks. Just received the JBLs i did the comparison, the mids are good but the highs are a bit harsh maybe because of the metal tweeters. The wharfedales are better sounding all around. The soft dome tweeters are unbelievably cool sounding. Will the harman kardon avr 5000 be a good amp inthe long run or should i be looking for stereo integrated amp to get the full potential of the diamonds?

You could try a different amp but if you're happy with the sound you get from your current setup then there's no real reason to change. What are you running as a source into the amp?

... which will be the best pair to match the amp?

I think you answered your own question.

... Just received the JBLs i did the comparison, the mids are good but the highs are a bit harsh maybe because of the metal tweeters. The wharfedales are better sounding all around. The soft dome tweeters are unbelievably cool sounding.

Though i do not know anything about your avr, so i cannot comment on its music sq but normaly i would say if you want stereo music, buy a stereo amp. However, if what you are hearing pleases you, thats all that matters. So unless the money is burning a hole in the pocket, stick with it.

A decent stereo amp may well bring more life to the 9.1's and sound better. And in turn, the stereo amp may well sound better still with better or different speakers. As said, If you could use or borrow an stereo amp for a while, then you can compare before laying out cash.

As asked, what is the source /media? If they are lacking, on a better setup, their inabillity will be exposed even more. 'Crap In, Crap Out' so to speak

Last edited:
Hi there, as a source i use media player to play my FLAC files since im storing my music in an external hard drive. I connect the optical output using toslink to the AVR digital input. I also use Ipod classic in a dock connected to the amp. I store apple lossless files on it. I know CDs are best but im more on playlist thing where i can listen on the favorites:). About the stereo amp, i'm checking on a Yamaha AX497. Is it a decent amp? Will cost Around USD 200. Second hand. I'm using it for music only since i already have a yamaha ysp 800 soundbar for my movies.

Flac files should be as good a cd they were ripped from, so no worries there.
Don't know anything about the ax467 so cannot comment on it, but If anything like the AS500 it will offer alot a a good price but some will like it and some won't. Best get a demo with the 9.1 if possible and hear for yourself.

You are correct, it doesn't and the HK is a good suggestion at the price. There are others but depends on the budget.

Jut noticed that amp's gone now. To be honest though I think you'd be best sticking with your current amp for that setup. As you're running a sub you'll ideally want a sub out and built in crossover. Combine that with the need for a DAC and you've got very limited options.

You could get something like this which has a DAC with USB input and a sub out but you'll be missing out on a crossover which is not ideal.

Teac A-H01 Silver | Stereo Digital Amplifier | Richer Sounds

You could try adding a stereo power amp which could give the sq a boost, The avr can be used as a pre -amp, but as said, stay with what you have for the time being and You can always try to borrow a stereo amp and make comparisons. If it has HT Bypass/Gain Control even better as that integrate with the avr for music and films. Just like with the power amp, the avr will be used a pre-amp.

Just a few thought.

Hi, the TEAC i believe is a good choice but i think i can,t find it here in Dubai. I did not try ordering things online either. Right now im using the sub at the speaker level not on the subout. Is that a nice idea? Coz the sub has no crossover adjustment, i thought i run it in speaker level and my amp in stereo mode without sub. Im using the sub for my ysp800 subout also, that's why. Maybe in time when there will be nice stereo amps on sale here in Dubai. http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified/electronics/home-audio-turntables/ here is the link of the local online store where i am checking some items. Thanks.

Does the receiver not have crossover settings and a sub out? If it does you'd be much better off using those so you can split the signal. You'll need to set the fronts to be small speakers in the receiver's settings and you'll want to play around with crossover settings to work out what sounds best. I'd be starting at around 70hz with the Diamonds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom