Wharfedale Diamond 9.0

oscroft

Prominent Member
Reaction score
You know those tiny little cheap Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers? Well, I've been looking for a small cheap pair to use for testing amplifiers and things, and I saw these at Richer Sounds for £49. Then there's an offer of free next day delivery if you enter the special code, so I tried it. What happens is it adds the £2.99 cost of standard delivery, then knocks off the £6.95 next day delivery cost... so the net delivery charge is negative, and you get the speakers for £45.04 inc. They effectively pay you £3.96 for taking them.

Anyway, at that price I got a pair, and I'm sitting here listening to them now. For such tiny little boxes, at such a ridiculously cheap price, they're surprisingly good. They have obvious weaknesses that I won't go into. But I think they'd be a cracking start for a newcomer on a tight budget, and they'd make a pretty decent pair of desktop/PC speakers too if coupled with a cheap amp (like the Chinese class D amps out there). I really don't know how they can sell them so cheap, but at £45 they're a steal.

(No connection with Wharfedale or with Richer Sounds)

Yeah I had some for a while nice little.speakers and amazing sound for the money.

These were the first "HiFi" speakers I every bought. I was a broke recent graduate at the time (6 years of study and massive debt). Paired them with a Cambridge Topaz AM1 amp, TEAC CD Player, and a Yamaha subwoofer I bought used off EBay. Total cost was around £400. For me at the time, that was a huge investment. I used my first pay cheque and I spent hours every day listening to them. Happy memories.

These speakers are surprisingly good for £50. I mean, what can you buy for £50 these days? I'd agree, they are a great beginners or student option. They definitely need a subwoofer though. Thankfully they are easy to cross over without need for a high pass filter, as they have almost no bass under 70Hz.

I recently sold my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and upgraded to diamond 10.1. They look good and sound, in my opinion better than my Tannoy Floorstanding speakers which cost £1400 when new. I'm a great Wharfedale fan. For newcomers to HiFi, Wharfedale offer excellent speakers.

Those tiny speakers used to be £39 from RS.

Back 20 years ago RS sold the JPW ml310i for £39, Mission 700 bookshelves and floorstanders for £49.95 to £79.95 and the Eltax Monitor 3 for £59.95 as well £9.95 and £19.95 Tibo speakers so £45 not such a bargain.

These speakers are being sold second hand for similar or more than their brand new price.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom