1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Diamond 8 vs. AE Aegis Evo

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lungfish, Aug 19, 2002.

1. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've narrowed my choices down to these two sets of speakers.... hoping the denizens of the AV Forums can help me decide which one to go for.

The Wharfedales (2 x 8.3, 2 x 8.1, 1 x centre) are my personal favourite of the sub-£500 setups I've listened to. Now it turns out that the speaker budget will stretch to £800, so the AEs (2 x Evo 3, 2 x Evo 1, 1 x Evo centre) are back in the picture. The shop had these on the first time I demoed the Marantz SR5200 and I was well impressed with them then, but discounted them since they were outside the budget.

I guess I should mention that this system will be sub-less to begin with, since right now I can't figure out where to fit one in :( The rest of the system is the SR5200 and a Pioneer DV656A, when it arrives.

So, would I be better off sticking with the Wharfedales and saving the extra cash for a sub, or spending 50% more now on the AEs? I know I'd be happy with either, probably more happy with the AEs, but not sure if they're just expensive overkill for this system.

Many thanks in advance!

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really depends on how much better you feel the AE speakers actually are - if at all!

You'd really need to do a side by side demo.

Having said that, the Wharfedale pack you mentioned can be bought from QED for £300, so only you could decide whether the AEs were worth nearly 3x the price.
    That £500 will buy you a decent subwoofer (and you might still have some change).

Only you can decide, based on which sound you prefer and how much you have to spend.
    You say you would be happy with either - if so, I think you've already made your decision (there's little point spending £800 for a set which you don't really enjoy any more than the £300 set), and to be honest, it's "probably" what I'd do as well.

If you don't want a sub, you could also consider the Diamond 8.4 instead of the 8.3s!

3. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

The AEs are actually only £680 (possibly negotiable), from a local dealer. I'll probably get the speakers from them anyway, since I've already taken up about a day of their time with demos, they've been helpful, and I'd like them to still be there when I go shopping for that sub!

I think you're right though... I need to listen to them both again before I make up my mind.

Thanks for the advice,

Scott