1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wharfedale diamond 8 screen 3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thelordmagus, Apr 20, 2005.

1. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Personally, i'd steer clear of Wharfedale. They're neither an AV speaker, nor a hi-fi speaker. The 8's are cheaply made, use cheap drive units, and don't sound any better than ok. There's so much choice at this level that almost anything will be better. Just being honest.

3. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Been using the same package for nearly 3 years now and IMO the reviews they received were well deserved. Maybe not in the class of Helicon's M&K speakers but for £230 I think they may be hard to beat. One point to consider is that only the centre speaker is shielded so don't put them to close to a CRT screen i.e. <0.4M

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Just to point out i'm not comparing them to my M&K's, very little will, but i used to manage a store that sold them and i know what they're like. If you want a lot of speaker for your money, fair enough, but even Missions sound better than these, not that they are any better made.

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    okok, thanks for your replies. I should have explained something here: I am short on budget, and my living room is not huge. I have spent about the same budget on the receiver and the DVD player, which means that I don't really see the need of spending hundreds of pounds on speakers alone, that would make a strange combination :nono:

I personally don't like the diamond 8 series visually in maple (really really horrible looking) but in black they're quit descent.

And thanks for the shielding info. I will have a good 1.5 meters to each side, so it should be more than ok.

LM

6. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For the money, I still think they are hard to beat and they received great reviews when released. Probably a good match to your systems budget. You won't be disappointed TLM.

7. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for the late reply, was stuck at home with a bad back... yeah I ordered them last Saturday at hifibitz. They are not in stock but they said they could get them fairly quickly from Wharfedale... I hope they're right ;)