Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 in Beech?

G

Goose

I recently purchased some Wharfedale Diamond 8.4s in Maple (with Champagne baffle), but have met with some spousal disapproval of the finish, even though pictures were shown prior to purchase. Black is not an option, but I notice that there is now a Beech finish advertised on various Wharfedale ad vendor sites. However, nowhere can I find a picture of a speaker in this finish. Can anyone describe it, preferably in terms of another speaker that has a similar finish and is pictured on the web? And what colour is the baffle? Thanks.

Maple is very light in colour whereas beech is a bit darker, often with an orangy tinge to it.

Thanks for your response, but sounds to me like you are offering a generalization, rather than actual experience. Whatever the case, over here Wharfedale's colours do not seem to follow that trend. The Diamond maple finish is a darker, orangey colour itself. For example, see this picture:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...me=standard&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures.

Other speakers made by Wharfedale use colours both lighter and darker than this and call it some variation on maple. They do have variations on beech in other speakers, but it too varies between model lines. It is generally, but not always, lighter than their "maple" colours. Confused? So am I!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Originally posted by Malabbey
Maple is very light in colour whereas beech is a bit darker, often with an orangy tinge to it.

isn't it the other way round? i have maple 8.3s/centre/8.1s which are quite dark and a bit orangy whereas the pictures i have seen of the Diamond speakers in beech are a lot lighter in shade...

If you have seen pictures of the Diamonds in Beech on the web then please let me know where you saw them!

The pics of the speakers in that link appear to be rosewood or cherry but looking around, they claim to be maple!. I've seen pics on the net of 8.3's in beech but I can't remember where. I wouldn't think that there would be any difference in colour between the 8.3's and 8.4's would there?

A chap over at the DVD Forums sold a set of 8.3's in beech not long ago. You will need to register first before you can view the thread

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Diamond 8.4s in that link I posted are the colour that Wharfedale calls "maple" (or "Diamond maple"). I know, I have two pairs of them at home! The only other pictures I can find are of "black" (both the vinyl finish and the baffles).

I imagine that any Diamond series speaker in Beech would be the same colour for matching reasons. So a picture of any of them will do. Do you remember what colour the baffles were on the 8.3s you saw? The "champagne" baffles on the maple speakers is sort of "off-silver", if I may coin the term. A purer silver would be nice.

OK, so not exactly a like for like comparison, but have a quick look at this. That will give you a rough idea as to which colours are which and what they should look like.

Thanks again for your input. I am following up on that DVD Forums link you posted.

Great! The guy has pictures of the speakers, just what I needed. Thank you very much!

Just for the record, the beech colour is apparently a very pale wood, more like what other manufacturers typically call maple. Personally, I like the "Diamond maple" better, but I will see what the wife thinks ...

Wharfedale DIamond Beech is identical to Mission M3 series beech and Wharfedale Diamond Maple is slightly lighter than Mordaunt Short/Mission M3 Cherry

I know the 8.1s and 8.3s are available in beech but not afaik, the 8.4s or 8.2s

Thanks, that helps too. I have seen 8.4s advertised as coming in Beech all over the web, but since the web knows everything that there is to know, even the stuff that's wrong, I don't necessarily believe it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom