Wharfedale Diamond 10 Sub question

programx

Standard Member
I'm looking at replacing my Kenwood speakers (was in a hi-fi pack), with the Wharfedale Diamond 10 series:

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5622 for details

Firstly, I bow to your much greater wisdom on whether these are suitable for mixed audio/home cinema use.

This is the first time I will be getting a subwoofer as my original system didn't come with one.

My current amp is a Panasonic SA-XR45

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/panasonic/sa-xr45/PRD_172733_2718crx.aspx

The amp has a Subwoofer PreAmp phono output.

But the sub on the speaker set has 2 sets of L/R Line Ins. So this confuses me. Am I to understand that in the short term I need to "chain" my L/R front speakers through the sub and have the sub split the bass off? Will this reduce the effectiveness of my amp's surround performance? Is this a bad sub choice or inevitable difference between speaker/amp?

Also, I see there are two sets of speaker in/outs. This really confuses me as to what the second set is for.

Any help appreciated.

Badger0-0

But the sub on the speaker set has 2 sets of L/R Line Ins
No it doesn't.
If you look you'll see a left and right in and a left and right out.

With your amp you will use a single shielded phono to phono lead running from the sub out on the amp to either the left or right in. It doesn't matter which, as it's a mono signal.

The line outs would be used to daisy chain a second sub, similar to what you suggested.

The other set, that look like normal speaker connection posts are for use with a stereo amp that has no line level connection.
In this case, you'd connect just as if you were connecting a speaker.

Badger0-0

Oops, I forgot.
It should be perfectly fine for a HC setup.
Whilst it won't give body shuddering, house levelling bass, it should do a very nice job :smashin:

programx

Standard Member
Thanks very much Badger0-0.

So I do:

AMP Sub PreAmp Out -> Sub L in (being mono - good point, forgot that!) (ignoring out as only have 1 sub). Simple!

The other set, that look like normal speaker connection posts are for use with a stereo amp that has no line level connection.
In this case, you'd connect just as if you were connecting a speaker.
The last sentence ... As my amp has its own speaker posts, I could safely ignore these?

Last edited:

Badger0-0

AMP Sub PreAmp Out -> Sub L in
:smashin:

The last sentence ... As my amp has its own speaker posts, I could safely ignore these?
You could actually use them if you wanted.

As I said, they're mainly for amps that have no low level connection.
You connect normal speaker wire from your amp's speaker connections to those on on sub, exactly as you would a normal speaker.

The reasoning with using them with your kind of amp (instead of the sub pre-out) is that some say it integrates better for music. I'm not sure I agree with that and it would depend on other things anyway.

If you do decide to go that route (and I don't really recommend it), do not connect high and low level connections at the same time unless the manual specifically states that you can do so.

Whatever, I'd just ignore them and go with the single low level.

For info, the crossover setting on the sub should be full up or off.
You then use the amps crossover settings and 80hz is a good starting point.

programx

Standard Member
Thanks very much. You've even told me what to do with those knobs and dials.

Very helpful. I'll be sure to spread the word. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom