Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 vs M-Audio BX5a Deluxe for PC use

dz1

Standard Member
I noticed the M-Audio BX5A Deluxe speakers are about the same price as the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Speakers (without the amp). Which of these would give the best quality sound on a PC?

I need good quality speakers for general PC use. Mostly for listening to music and watching internet TV and movies but i will also occasionally use them for playing games.

I currently have the Jamo i300 2.1 system but I'm not satisfied with the sound. The mids are too recessed and the detail is not quite as good as i want it to be. I have not been satisfied with any 2.1 speakers that i have owned so far. I'm not a fan of bloated bass and always turn down the 6.5" subwoofer quite low on the Jamos. I used to own the M-Audio AV40 and thought they had very good sound quality, but i had to get rid of them because they have well known design flaws that i just couldn't put up with.

Any help would be appreciated.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Active Speakers you've selected imply a budget up to about £250/pr.

Is that right?

If you get the Diamond 9.1/10.1, what would you use for an amp? Do you have an amp, or will you need the same budget to provide one?

In terms of active speakers, along with M-Audio, consider KRK and Behringer -

KRK are not perfect, but they are pretty popular and well regarded, and certainly capable of acting as a home studio monitor, and come in a range of sides and prices. Though they make other Active Speakers, consider the Rokit line - Rokit 5, Rokit 6, & Rokit 8 -

Google-UK - Shopping Search - M Audio BX5a

Google-UK - Shopping Search - KRK Rokit

Google-UK - Shopping Search - KRK Rokit 6

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Behringer Truth

Pay attention as to whether the listed price is EACH or per PAIR.

Now in separate components, consider these amps -

PIONEER A209R AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK

PIONEER A307R AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK

A Google-UK Shopping Search can probably find better prices on these amps.

Also, the Marantz PM5003 can be found at a couple of places of about £179 -

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Marantz PM5003

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Marantz PM5004

If you can push your budget up to about £300, then the Yamaha AS300 for about £210 is worth a look -

Google-UK - Shopping Search - Yamaha AS300

Also worth considering are the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM10 with 35w/ch priced at £169 (RicherSounds.com) and the Onkyo A9155 with roughly 50w/ch and prices at about £149 from several sources (SuperFi.co.uk, RicherSounds.com, ...).

And here is probably the best deal around in a passive speaker -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK

If you insist on the Diamond 10.1, then the price is probably going to be closer to £300 to £350.

Now, if you already have an amp, then in just speakers, certainly consider the Diamond 10.1 and Diamond 10.2; they are going to be roughly £170/pr and £220/pr respectively.

That should at least give you a place to start, though by no means does it cover every possibility.

Steve/bluewizard

dz1

Standard Member
I don't want to go above my £200 budget. The Rokit 5 look very good but they are about £80 more than the BX5a Deluxe and i'm not sure they will be any better. So the BX5a seems better value to me.

I was set to get the BX5a Deluxe but some here are saying that speakers with a separate amp are better sounding than speakers with built-in amps. I also saw another thread saying how good the Wharfedale 10.1 and 9.1 are. I have seen mentioned here that you can get good cheap amps on ebay and there was a link which showed a Pioneer amp that recently sold for only £20 plus delivery. So a £20 amp plus Wharfedale 10.1 would be under my budget of £200.

How would the sound from that compare to the BX5a Deluxe at about the same price for general PC use?

The Behringers you suggested might also be good but i have some space constraints so they would have to have no more than a 5" woofer. I don't see many reviews of the Behringers and that worries me. I can find many reviews of the other speakers so have more confidence in them.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I've little information on the specs of the M-Audio BX5a, but I know they are well above the AV40. So, whether you continue down that road depends on how satisfied you were with the AV40's sound wise. If you liked the sound, then the MX5a are certainly going to be better, I might even venture to say much better.

If you absolutely positively can't raise another £50, then that might be your best option.

However, if you can scrap together another roughiy £50, then I would start leaning toward separates. Eitehr of the Pioneer amps I linked to can be bought at decent prices, and they could easily be combine with the Diamond 9.1 to produce a very good, and far more versitile system. But, also a bulkier system, you now have three boxes to contend with rather than the two found in Active Speakers.

But if you really are locked in at less than £200, perhaps the BX5a are the best choice.

Again, there are a lot of variable that have not been discussed so far, you see those detail far more clearly than I do, and it is somewhat up to you to determine which ones are relevant. I can't know about restrictions unless you tell me.

In the end, though, the final decision is up to you.

Steve/bluewizard

dz1

Standard Member
I do really like the sound of the AV40 speakers so i decided to go for the BX5A. Hoping they don't have any of the many problems the AV40s had when i tried them.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom