Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 VS 10.2

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by flatsound, Mar 6, 2013.

1. flatsound

flatsound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys

I heard the wharfedale Diamond 10.1 with a sound system like mine and really like them.They sounded awsome in the midrange with voices, tone and detail as I like so much.

I'd like to try the Diamonds 10.2 and see (hear) if they suit my taste as the Diamond 10.1 did. Shall I expect the same sound or are the 10.2 quiet different? Do the Diamonds 10.2 need a lot more space than 10.1? My living room is not big (5x3 = 15 square meters). Thanks for your help in this matter. :hiya:

2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    The sound will be very similar between the two but you will get a more deeper and better bass response with the 10.2 because of its bigger drivers (6.5") whose freq can go down to 40hz. The 10.1 5" drivers lowest frequency rating is 48hz.

Though the following may not be strictly true for all speakers but the bigger the driver, the better the bass.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    Keep in mind that a 6.5" bass driver is nearly 80% larger than the 5" bass driver of the Diamond 10.1.

The Diamond 10.1 is a fine speaker, but the 10.2 is larger and goes significantly deeper.

As to how they sound, the sound characteristics should be virtually the same since they are both based on the same Kevlar Drivers and Silk Dome Tweeters.

As to size vs bass, the bass may only be a bit deeper, but the weight and impact of the larger driver should be noticeable. It is moving nearly twice as much air.

Also keep in mind that the Diamond 10.4 with twin 5" bass drivers is available from between £250/pr and about £300/pr. When you factor in the cost of stands for bookshelf speakers, the floorstanding Diamond 10.4 are not that expensive. The Diamond 10.4 has bass down to about 38hz (from memory).

Steve/bluewizard