Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and Yamaha RX-V667

grazzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this current setup fairly recently and if I'm honest, I'm not entirely happy with it. I find that the sound lacks clarity, especially vocals. I've also experienced huge issues connecting my receiver to my PC via HDMI, trying to get the PC to send the receiver DTS-HD, which I've noticed no difference between DTS and DTS-HD in terms of quality. They both sound exactly the same.

I'm also wondering whether you think the amp is a class above the speakers; what speakers would you say would be the limit for the amp?

To put it in context, I auditioned a pair of B&W CM8's and an Arcam amp; I can't say I remember the actual model but it was around £2000 and the sound quality was jaw dropping. Obviously, I'm not going to get the same quality for the price I've paid for these, but any recommendations of possible combinations to try would be appreciated.

I will admit I was probably a bit naive when I bought my current setup, and I didn't really audition them for that long in hindsight to make a definite decision.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Ben

Both Yamaha and Wharfedale are considered to be warm sounding and this could be part of your problem. Having 2 warm sounding items together can mean a lack of detail which does sound like your issue. Monitor Audio, Mission and Morduant Short are all more common pairings for Yamaha recievers. As far as speakers go the 667 could justify spending £1-1.5k on speakers as an idea for the level of speakers you could get.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'll have a look into auditioning a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's instead of the Diamond 10.1's in that case. I find the 10.1's to be good with bass, and they're certainly an improvement over my old Sony midi system.

Are B&W a good combination for Yamaha amps?

Kind regards

Ben

B&W should be a good match for Yamaha as well.

If you'd like an intermediate option that will give you some of the bass associated with the Wharfdale speakers as well as the detail associated with both B&W and Monitor Audio then I'd suggest you try to audition Acoustic Energy Aegis or Aelite.

Hello,

Thanks for the replys.

Ok that's good. B&W wise I'm looking at the 685, 684 and CM1.

Would the CM1's perform well from this amp? If so that will probably be my B&W preference I think for the moment.

Regarding Acoustic Energy, thanks very much for that. They look like some pretty good speakers, and at a fair price. I'll organise an audition for those as well I think.

Any more suggestions, please feel free to add!

Thanks again

Ben

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the replys.

Ok that's good. B&W wise I'm looking at the 685, 684 and CM1.

Would the CM1's perform well from this amp? If so that will probably be my B&W preference I think for the moment.

Regarding Acoustic Energy, thanks very much for that. They look like some pretty good speakers, and at a fair price. I'll organise an audition for those as well I think.

Any more suggestions, please feel free to add!

Thanks again

Ben

The CM1s are fine speakers, but notoriously hard to drive. The RXV667 is probably not the best amp to power the CM1s.

Last edited:
To put it in context, I auditioned a pair of B&W CM8's and an Arcam amp; I can't say I remember the actual model but it was around £2000 and the sound quality was jaw dropping. Obviously, I'm not going to get the same quality for the price I've paid for these, but any recommendations of possible combinations to try would be appreciated.
Ben

Was the audition in a shop or at home? If a shop, it's possible the demo room had really well set up acoustics. It's unbelievable how much effect that can have. (But the kit's probably much better too.)

Have you tried moving your speakers around - away from walls / corners etc.? And running with all the YPAO stuff turned off? Or re-running the YPAO setup?

Hope your search ends well.

Hello,

Yea the CM8 demo was in a shop, literally an empty room with two leather chairs! They were incredible though, but I agree that maybe without much furniture in a room, the speakers can sound very different.

I took the 10.1's back to Richer Sounds and after listening to various speakers at Superfi, I've just bought the B&W 685s. They sound incredible, but i feel a new amp might be in order soon!

Thanks again for the advice guys,

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom