1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale Di-polars

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MysteryMan, Mar 24, 2003.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Does anyone know about the new DFS-18 bi-polars from Wharfedale?

I am very interested in them to go with other Wharfedale Diamond speakers.

They are pretty new and quite difficult to find, but, if anone has heard them or anything about their performance I'd be grateful to you.

2. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    di-polars?!? i'm still waiting Wharfedale to release the Diamond 8DFS Bi-Polars that they announced about this time last year...

whereabouts did you hear about the di-polars?

i would be interested to hear if anyone had info about either!

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry, you are right! That should read bi-polars and, indeed, it does now I've editted it!!!!!

I spotted them on the hifijunkies web site and it refers to them as both di- and bi-. Confusing, eh?:confused:

Anyway, I'm trying to contact them to see if they are in stock as most other shops still say "whaaat?"

4. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i just spotted them on HiFiJunkies as well for 160 quid for a pair. i think these are basically what the 8-DFS were going to be, but presumably because it took so long bringing them out that Wharfedale thought they might as well call them 18-DFS instead!

the option of an all-white finish looks good too. whilst not matching my other Diamonds in the maple finish they will at least blend in better with my walls. once i also get a Velodyne VX-10 sub in cherry from Uncle Eric's powerbuy (which will hopefully match the maple finish of my main speakers) and upgrade to a Pioneer DV-656a from my Alba DVD103 then i will be oh so happy!

now do i try and get an order in straight away and avoid the potential queues that i experienced getting my Marantz SR5200 or do i wait for qed-uk.com to undercut HiFiJunkies significantly and then do a price-match to save some money? :confused:

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

6. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi MysteryMan :hiya: have you made any progress/got any additional news on these speakers yet from HiFiJunkies? i would be very interested to hear from you if you did... cheers

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just spoken to HiFiJunkies and they have just (this morning) ordered some from Wharfedale who now have them in stock.

So, they expect them to be available in 'a few days time'

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    At last, I have my hands on a pair of these bi-polars. I got bored waiting for anyone else to stock them and went for HiFiJunkies. A couple of other places said they could get them but the price would be £200, compared to £160 + £10p&p.

Bearing in mind that these are my first rear speakers, let alone bi-polar, I must say that I am very impressed. They sound great and add soooo much to the overall sound.

I went for the white ones and, although they look very smart, you need to be careful to have clean hands when handling them. They don't look quite so smart with dirty fingermarks on them and I've had to clean them off a few times now.

9. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    glad you got them at last!

so what mounting position did you go for? Wharfedale suggest putting them on the back wall on the DFS page on their Web-site but the usual convention seems to be putting them on the side walls in line with the listening position (and then having another one or two speakers on the back wall for 6.1/7.1). also how do you get them up there; does each one hang from a couple of carefully fitted screws or something along those lines? they should be safe from dirty hands once they're up but i suppose they might get a bit dusty...

still not upgraded my system yet! will have to flip a coin to see what do get next from the 656a, VX-10 or DFS-18 :confused:

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi

I put them on the back wall as the side walls are different distances from the normal viewing/listening position and I wanted them to be reasonably equidistant.

Yes, they hook over a couple of strategically placed screws and are nice and firm when up there!

Sounds like you are planning a remarkably similar set-up to me.....
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's for fronts
    Wharfedale Diamond centre
    Wharfedale DFS-18 rears
    Velodyne VX-10
    Pioneer 545 DVD player

Spooky!:D :D

11. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a pair of the aforementioned speakers and bought these from Hifi bitz. They had to order them in specially, but the service was very prompt and got them about 2 weeks ago. Of note there are two versions of this speaker available, one with Kevlar cones that are designed to match the diamond/pacific series of speakers and also another version with polypropylene cones which match others in the Wharfedale range. Ensure that you stipulate the diamond dfs-18 when ordering. One other thing to note is that they different to the speakers shown in the catalogue having 4" bass drivers and a more compact enclosure. Personally I think this makes them all the better.
    What do I think of them? Well I run a 6.1 configuration with the DFS speakers to the side of the listening position and an old Diamond V as the rear centre speaker. Before that I had a pair of direct speakers to the sides. The improvement is incredible, they tonally match the other diamond/pacific speakers (I have 8.3s at the front and a Pacific centre) and the characteristics of this set up produce an all-enveloping sound.

12. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so how are you all doing with your DFS-18 rear surrounds? once again i am thinking that i should get round to ordering a pair of these now they are finally available (i finally upgraded my DVD player and demoed a couple of subs (VX10/CHT8) the other week so my home cinema plan is on its way towards fruition :smashin: ).

out of interest, is it possible to sit the DFS-18s on a flat surface (e.g. the top of a shelf unit, but they don't look like the right kind of shape for that unlike the Mission Bi-polars) or do they have to be hung on the walls? in the latter case i should probably order soon so my brother can help me fit them when he comes up to visit next month (i am fairly hopeless with DIY taks but i fix his computer in return when i am down visiting him!).

cheers,

Dan

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dan

Yes, they are great - everything I hoped for!

They are not really suitable to put on a shelf/unit/etc. for any length of time. You could just about balance them, for a short period, but they are the wrong shape and, I'm sure, the lack of a rigid fixing would diminish the sound.

Get them on the wall!!!!! They suggest a high position, as well.

Go for it.:smashin:

14. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmm, i see that HiFiJunkies have closed down (at least for now) :( can't quite justify spending 200 quid on these speakers so i will await the price coming down elsewhere with any luck

15. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wharfs also go well with the new quad speakers as thay use basicly the same drivers!

ps im pleased with mine got them few days ago ;)

16. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i finally upgraded my speakers! i ended up getting two pairs of white Wharfedale DFS 21 speakers (polypropelene rather than Kevlar drivers but with standard Wharfedale tweeters which i believe is what is important for tonal matching) which i got for a great price from http://www.hifistore.co.uk/ (although i think they were the last couple of sets that they had in stock).

two of the DFS 21s replace my Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s for the side surrounds (pretty much in-line with the primary listening position on the sofa) while the other two are wired in series on the back wall for the matrixed (Marantz SR5200 for now) rear centre surround (approximately the same distance into the centre from the back corners as the side surrounds are forward, all of the speakers are quite high up at about 2.5 metres).

have to say that the sound for home cinema is now greatly improved; rear effects are nicely delocalised which adds to the ambience greatly, plus the effects spread around the back of the room nicely so seating position is less of an issue :smashin: they also seem to be quite good for bass being slightly larger than the DFS 18 units. not really tried any multi-channel music yet but i mostly watch films or play computer games with the set-up anyway, however 6 channel stereo is quite impressive!

next on the list is a sub at some point, although a discrete 6 (or 7!) channel amp is tempting for those DTS ES soundtracks :D

17. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i see that hifibitz now have the DFS-18 on offer for 80 pounds for a pair! not bad! maybe i should have waited... :rolleyes:

18. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^^ im holding out until they reduce the black ones to the same price as the white ones! :)

19. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  20. Ian_

Ian_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HifiBitz are selling the DFS-18 for £49.95 a pair finished in black, that is the cheapest I have seen them.