Question Wharfedale DFS vs Eltax HT for Bipole Surrounds?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Donnacha, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Hi

was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Wharfedale DFS (specifically 18) vs. the Eltax HT2 as bipoles for rear wall surrounds?

I want to try out some bipoles and I can get either pretty cheap, but didn't know if one was better than the other (I'm guessing the Wharfedales have a better reputation)? Currently I use a B&W M1 (2nd gen) 5.1 setup (the .1 is an SVS SB1000). As my sofa is right up against the back wall the surround B&W M1s are angled in but I don't really get an enveloping surround sound (it all very directional). Hence I'm looking at a bipole solution for the back wall and then may use the spare M1s for atmos duty once I upgrade my AV amp.

Anyone any thoughts on either of the 2 I suggested and whether they'll be OK with the B&W M1s?

Many thanks !

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Eltax is a little question mark, but Wharfedale should be something to try as those have been quite popular back in the days. I found one pair for 40£, so it´s basically pocket money..
    Wharfedale Diamond DFS-18 Speakers | in Reading, Berkshire | Gumtree

I don´t see any problem mixing surrounds as this has been done for ages. Lot of people report bipole working better in situation like yours. Only way to know for sure is to try.

[​IMG]

3. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Thanks - I think the Eltax have a smaller footprint which may be more appealing to the missus, but think I may go the Wharfedale route....as you’d ay not s lot of money to give it a go