Wharfedale 220 or Mordaunt Short M20?

neil29

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a small setup at the minute in my front room, with a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver and Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 speakers. I've had this for over 10 years now, and whilst I'm still very happy with it, I'm looking to improve the front speakers for listening to music. As it's a small room I don't need anything earth shaking loud, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Wharfedale 220's or Mordaunt Short M20's. These can both be had for £100 at the minute, and I don't really want to spend much more than that. Can anyone please advise of which would be the better ones. Thanks, Neil.

Got a small setup at the minute in my front room, with a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver and Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 speakers. I've had this for over 10 years now, and whilst I'm still very happy with it, I'm looking to improve the front speakers for listening to music. As it's a small room I don't need anything earth shaking loud, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Wharfedale 220's or Mordaunt Short M20's. These can both be had for £100 at the minute, and I don't really want to spend much more than that. Can anyone please advise of which would be the better ones. Thanks, Neil.

Hey Neil. Can you visit the Richer Sounds store? Call them before hand and book a demo time. Bring one favourite cd with you and give it a spin. While it won`t give 100% idea how it sounds exactly in home, it`s still better than buying totally blind as you get some idea how different these two speakers sound. What you can find from forums is that the Wharfedale Diamond 220 are very enjoyable speakers for 2ch listening. Warm and laid back, no listening fatigue. However you might find that they are bit bass shy, but you can always add small subwoofer later like BK Gemini II or REL T5i. If i would have to choose blind then Wharfedale 220s for sure. Shame there isn´t the 225 model available anymore.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be going into Richer Sounds at some point this week to do as you said. I was just wondering beforehand if there was an obvious candidate of the two. I've already got a sub from my Alumni's to compliment the speakers, so I'll probably sway towards the 220's, but like you say I need to hear it for myself to confirm. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom