Wharfedale 160GB PVR from Argos - Q &A

I got one of these, and apart from the overly complicated remote control (too many buttons that seem to mean the same thing)it works OK, except.........

Every now and then it seems that is loses all the tuned stations and I just get a green screen. Now I have lost the instruction manual and can't remember how to re-tune from scratch.

Help - anyone got an instruction manual they want to flog???
You can download a PDF of a Manual from the Sharp site here. Follow the "Operation Manuals" link, select TUR160HA from the drop-down list, select Search. From the options given download the file called "TUR160HA Revised Operation Manual - Only applicable to units produced after Oct 2007". This is not a manual for your particular unit but it will be suitable for most functions.

I have had very occasional "green" screen on my Vestel PVRs but I don't believe it is a common bug. You can check the signal strength and quality of each of the signals from the 6 Freeview MUXs using the MANUAL CHANNEL SCAN facility. If you know the UHF channel numbers for your transmitter enter these in-turn in the box on the screen and read the data presented. If you don't know your channel numbers just scan through the range of numbers from 22 to 66 until you find the appropriate ones. Alternatively you can the data from the site here.

Colin

Hi was think about getting this unit (Wharfedale LP160DTR) but i have some questions about the unit and subtitles i was hoping some one could answer?

1. do i have to turn the subtitles on for each record i make or will it auto record the subtitles and allow me to turn them off and on while playing back the recording?

2. Can i record subtitles on both the tuners at the same time?

3. When pausing live tv will the subtitles record also (if on?)?

thanks for any help anyone can give.

Hi was think about getting this unit (Wharfedale LP160DTR) but i have some questions about the unit and subtitles i was hoping some one could answer?

1. do i have to turn the subtitles on for each record i make or will it auto record the subtitles and allow me to turn them off and on while playing back the recording?

2. Can i record subtitles on both the tuners at the same time?

3. When pausing live tv will the subtitles record also (if on?)?

thanks for any help anyone can give.
1. It will automatically record subtitles and you can control them in playback.

2. Yes.

3. Pausing Live TV will only temporarily "record" the programme. If you want to permanently record the current programme then you would use the Instant Record function by just pressing the Record button. This then produces a normal recording which you can watch from the Library at any time, including immediately using the Chase Play functionality.

Have you located stock for this item at Argos? They are on clearance and are now hard to find.

Colin

1. It will automatically record subtitles and you can control them in playback.

2. Yes.

3. Pausing Live TV will only temporarily "record" the programme. If you want to permanently record the current programme then you would use the Instant Record function by just pressing the Record button. This then produces a normal recording which you can watch from the Library at any time, including immediately using the Chase Play functionality.

Have you located stock for this item at Argos? They are on clearance and are now hard to find.

Colin

Thanks for the help got 1 on sunday there was only 2 in stock and both are gone now.

Got an other question if anyone could help.

I got the TU160DTR, Software Version 0.46 was wondering does this have usb support it does have a usb port. If so can u just stick in a usb flash drive and transfer files?. If not is there any plans for a software update?

Thanks for the help got 1 on sunday there was only 2 in stock and both are gone now.

Got an other question if anyone could help.

I got the TU160DTR, Software Version 0.46 was wondering does this have usb support it does have a usb port. If so can u just stick in a usb flash drive and transfer files?. If not is there any plans for a software update?
Do you mean you have got the Wharfedale Top Up TV 160GB shown here. If so then that is a different PVR from the Wharfedale LP160DTR we were discussing earlier. The Wharfedale Top Up TV 160GB is made by Vestel as is the LP160DTR but it has the completely different Top UP TV software rather than the Vestel (Cabot) software in the Wharfedale LP160DTR and all the previous Vestel models.

The USB port does not work on the TUTV software. Only the Vestel LP models with the HDMI port option have a working USB port.

Colin

My brother called Saturday afternoon - he was in the Argos Clearance shop in Stanley, Co Durham. Did I want a LP160DTRHDMI* for ÂŁ50? As I've been thinking about getting a PVR since Christmas, and I've missed a few Humax bargains, ÂŁ50 seemed a reasonable starter.
Picked it up today, opened the box and... no remote or manual. Chasing that up with Argos, as the in-store details didn't mention any missing parts and the box was sealed.
It was going to go in the living room, but now thinking about hooking it up to one of the monitors in the room I work in. I might try to hook it up to a network drive.
As for jpegs - anyone got those working?

*Not his exact words!! On package details are '532/1416', which might be the part number, and 'sw ver: v.4.8'.

Last edited:
My brother called Saturday afternoon - he was in the Argos Clearance shop in Stanley, Co Durham. Did I want a LP160DTRHDMI* for ÂŁ50? As I've been thinking about getting a PVR since Christmas, and I've missed a few Humax bargains, ÂŁ50 seemed a reasonable starter.
Picked it up today, opened the box and... no remote or manual. Chasing that up with Argos, as the in-store details didn't mention any missing parts and the box was sealed.
It was going to go in the living room, but now thinking about hooking it up to one of the monitors in the room I work in. I might try to hook it up to a network drive.
As for jpegs - anyone got those working?

*Not his exact words!! On package details are '532/1416', which might be the part number, and 'sw ver: v.4.8'.
If you get stuck for a Remote then any of the Remotes for any Vestel PVR except the recent Top Up TV versions will work. They appear on eBay from time to time. You can download a manual for a similar PVR if you need to. Ask again for a link if you need one.

I have used the USB port for loading JPEG images and MP3 files onto the Hard Drive. Others have extracted Video files from the Hard Disk. There are some posts on this in the thread here and other useful info for Wharfedale LP/HDMI PVRs. Software 4.8 is the original and only software used on the Wharfedale LP/HDMI units.

Colin

My '400 has just hit the "stuck in standby" problem after around a year and a half.

Upon power on the blue power LED lights after ~10s, but there's
- no fan
- no HDD spin up
- no CD activity
- no text on display
- no response to remote/front panel.

Any ideas (apart from it's broken). I did take apart and check internal connections looked ok. Also tried disconnecting CD, HDD to no avail.

My '400 has just hit the "stuck in standby" problem after around a year and a half.

Upon power on the blue power LED lights after ~10s, but there's
- no fan
- no HDD spin up
- no CD activity
- no text on display
- no response to remote/front panel.

Any ideas (apart from it's broken). I did take apart and check internal connections looked ok. Also tried disconnecting CD, HDD to no avail.
"400", "CD activity"? Are you sure you are referring to Wharfedale 160GB PVR?

Colin

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster. I have just bought the Wharfedale 250gb pvr refurbished from Maplins off the net for ÂŁ99. After reading all about it on here I was a bit dubious but it was such a good price and has a 12 month guarantee. The first day of using it, it must have crashed at least 10 times, not a good start, as I can return it within 28 days for a refund I thought I would press on. We are now on day 4 and fingers crossed it has stopped crashing. As others have said, for the money it's the best out there. I have recorded several things successfully, the EPG is excellent, in fact if it continues to behave it's self I shall be very pleased. So anyone buying one of these give it a few days to sort it's self out, although why it does not work properly straight out the box is a mystery to me. The blurp said refurbished but to me it looked brand new and unopened.:)

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster. I have just bought the Wharfedale 250gb pvr refurbished from Maplins off the net for ÂŁ99. After reading all about it on here I was a bit dubious but it was such a good price and has a 12 month guarantee. The first day of using it, it must have crashed at least 10 times, not a good start, as I can return it within 28 days for a refund I thought I would press on. We are now on day 4 and fingers crossed it has stopped crashing. As others have said, for the money it's the best out there. I have recorded several things successfully, the EPG is excellent, in fact if it continues to behave it's self I shall be very pleased. So anyone buying one of these give it a few days to sort it's self out, although why it does not work properly straight out the box is a mystery to me. The blurp said refurbished but to me it looked brand new and unopened.:)
Unfortunately there has been two different Wharfedale 250gb PVRs sold at Argos. Although both are made for Argos by Vestel one has the original Cabot/Vestel software and the other has the TUTV software. Which one do you have? They are very different in functionality and user interface. If you post the software version that will identify which one you have. As you say the EPG is excellent then in my opinion then you don't have the TUTV version.

Colin

Unfortunately there has been two different Wharfedale 250gb PVRs sold at Argos. Although both are made for Argos by Vestel one has the original Cabot/Vestel software and the other has the TUTV software. Which one do you have? They are very different in functionality and user interface. If you post the software version that will identify which one you have. As you say the EPG is excellent then in my opinion then you don't have the TUTV version.

Colin

Colin just been to the Maplins website and it is the one that I had with the HDMI! I am tempted to get one myself as you know I regretted letting it go. The give away is of course the HDMI connection. ÂŁ99. Hmm, I haven't seen it anywhere else any cheaper. Go here Colin to see it. At http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=228101

Colin just been to the Maplins website and it is the one that I had with the HDMI! I am tempted to get one myself as you know I regretted letting it go. The give away is of course the HDMI connection. ÂŁ99. Hmm, I haven't seen it anywhere else any cheaper. Go here Colin to see it. At Refurbished 250GB Twin Tuner Freeview PVR with HDMI Upscaling > Maplin
Thanks for that. That's exactly the model I have, and the same price I paid for mine new . I would have expected them to be a bit cheaper for re-furbished but if they are all effectively new then they are not a bad price. Personally I prefer my Humax 9200 but the Wharfedale makes a good back-up for the Humax.

Colin

Thanks for that. That's exactly the model I have, and the same price I paid for mine new . I would have expected them to be a bit cheaper for re-furbished but if they are all effectively new then they are not a bad price. Personally I prefer my Humax 9200 but the Wharfedale makes a good back-up for the Humax.

Colin

Colin didn't realise you had the HDMI model?? Seeing as we are no further with the Philips I might get this. Does is still crash when there are two recordings to begin at the same time and you are watching another channel or not?
I loved the picture from it over HDMI.

TG

Colin didn't realise you had the HDMI model?? Seeing as we are no further with the Philips I might get this. Does is still crash when there are two recordings to begin at the same time and you are watching another channel or not?
I loved the picture from it over HDMI.

TG
I've never had that particular issue you mentioned although I recall it being discussed. I vageuly recall that the particular conditions didn't apply to the way I used my unit. I think it may have been that I rarely watch Live TV, recording virtually everything we watch. I have only had one or maybe two crashes since I got the latest unit in Oct.08. I had much more trouble with crashing with the first one I had for about 3 weeks in Apr/May 08. I now attribute that to the very intensive testing I was subjecting it too. Basically it is reliable but the User Interface is much slower than the Humax.

Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom