1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfdale moviestar 60 - worth it for £99?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bascombe, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

just saw the add on this page for the wharfdale moviestar 60+ speaker package at hifibitz for £99. I'm looking for an entry level setup (with small speakers), primarily for dvds and gamecube (music not a major priority), and will be combining the speakers with a yamaha rxv430 (I know the 440 is out, and its slightly more feature rich, but the 430 does all i want for the mo and - hey!- its about £70 cheaper....). Wharfdale site lists the recommended av amp power for the package as 100W, and the yamaha is 65w per channel - will this pose any prob, or just mean that the speakers wont be pushed as far they can be? ANd has anyone heard them?? Are they a good investment for the money?

Cheers

Bascombe

2. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bascome,

I haven't seen or heard these speakers, but a quick search shows that Argos are selling them for £229 - see the following link :

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...10001&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=39207

The Argos info says that the sats are rated at 5 x 50 watts RMS. So £99 certainly seems like a good price if you were going to buy them anyway.

Other sites show them selling for around $379 in the states.

I also notice that all sites say that they come with everything you need to get them going - "All fixings are supplied to allow wall or ceiling mounting and plenty of cable is included for easy installation." which is always a good thing when you are on a tight budget.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    AJP.

3. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    mmmm, certainly seems like a good deal in comparison to its price elsewhere - still not managed to find any reviews tho. Ah well, considering the other option I was thinking about was the yamaha nsp220 package for £80 at hyperfi, its not too far beyond my price range - and it looks nicer :) .

Like I said, mmmmmmm........

Cheers

Bascombe

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Bascome
    My brother has this system with a entry level sony amp and dvd player .The speakers are quite well made with strong gold plated
    Speaker terminals and the little sub works ok too for £99 you cant go wrong they do sound as good as most cinema in a box speakers and as i said the finish and build quality is great , I also
    used to own the yamaha 430 which is a excellent budget amp i should imagine they will go together great.Btw the speakers are 4 ohms so you will need to alter the switch on the back of your receiver to 4 ohms setting you will also need a y-slitter cable for the sub so you can leave it on at low level without it turning itself off there £4.99 from maplins.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.:)
    PS i also had the yamaha nsp220 the wharfdale is the better package imo.

5. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gonzo, thats ideal, cheers for the info:) Been reading on the forums about underpowered speakers, which got me paranoid that the setup was no good (what with the recommended amp rating on the Wharfedale site). The yamaha site lists a din standard power at 4ohms of 110w p/ch, and an rms output at 8ohms of 65w p/ch. I'm guessing, if the wharfs recommended rating of 100w is at 4ohms then its all hunky dory? Sorry if I'm being dense, but this is my first venture into homecinema sound, and I'd hate to get excited about specs and prices then balls the thing up because I hadnt thought it through!

Cheers

Bascombe