1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfdale 8.2s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fabio1605, Jul 3, 2004.

1. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive posted this in a thread on processor and power amps by the way..!

just thought it would be better in here...

Anyway!

I have some wafdale 8.2+ speakers,6ohm,100watt handling... are them compatiable with the marantz pm7200 amp coz one of the spekers has already broke and i was wondering if it was becasue the amp is to powerful or the speaker was faulty

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes they're compatible. should get quite a nice (if slightly dull) sound. Are you by any chance using tone controls? if so, heavy handed (i.e. near maximum) use of those brings an enormous amount of distortion into the equation and starts killing crossovers and drive units. Thats the only amount of help i can give, sorry.

3. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for your help... yes i am using tone controls i think il keep that a bit lower in future... thing is the amp is 95 watts at 8ohms so im assuming becuase my speakers are 6ohms the amp will be producing about 120-140watts p/c and thus my speakers have a handling power of 100watts... so i thought that might of been the reason they blew up... or am i wrong? any of ur advice is helpful to me??

Also stated that my speakers have a 100watt handling power is that there peak handing?

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    no, 100w is their RMS power handling. i personally wouldn't read into it too much. Too many manufacturers quote meaningless power figures, whether they be at 10% THD, RMS, PMPO, Music Power or whatever. Just get your speakers sorted, switch source direct on, so it bypasses the tone controls and enjoy the music.

If you need to use tone controls, however, then theres something wrong with your choice of amp or speakers and i'm betting you're turning up the treble (as the Diamonds are dull sounding) and the bass (as they have just-about-enough but no more bass). May i suggest a change of speaker to Mordaunt Short Avant 912 once your Diamonds are fixed? They are from the same distributor, and were more than likely used in the pm7200's design process.

5. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    il use source direct in future more often thanks for that bit of advice.... im just a bit worried that by turnin the amp full i will damage my spekaers...... should this not be a problem.

The company said the cone had become detached from the speaker or something is that a cause of over power ness do you think?

Another question,, i have a fusion cd-780 cd player and with in a week the power button is stuck and i cant turn it off should i be ok to leave it on pretty much all the time beacuse it dont generate much heat? becuase it would be quite a pain to send it back... wait 3-4 week for it to be returned..