Wharfdale 750s owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timh, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    What do you think of this player?
    Has it any fault's.
    Also how many scart socket's are on the back?

Cheers
    Tim

------------------
    Yehaa Chester's Dead

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate has one and I have the Sony 735. Mine has the bells and whistles and his works!!!! Doesnt suffer the lip synch that mine does or the painfully slow layer change pause! But hey the sony has a nicer GUI!

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    It sound's like you think your mates 750 is better than your 735.
    Is this true?
    If so you could have baught two 750's for the price of a 735.

Tim

------------------
    Yehaa Chester's Dead

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you trying to make me feel better about my purchase?

Id say for the extra £200 I would expect a lot more from the sony than I actually got. It has the necessary on board decoders but the best decoding is off board (according to the majority of people) so they dont add value. In terms of picture quality I'd say the sony has the edge but not £200 pounds worth of edge. Sonically I cant really comment as my mate only runs his through the telly. The only thing the sony has that stands out above the Wharfedale is the sexy Gui but then I usually stick a disk in and play as you would on a wharfedale. I dont spend an evening flicking through the GUI options so once again not worth the extra £200. If my Sony didnt have lip Synch or layer change problems on certain disks I would say it was worth the extra but unforetunately it does.

the wharfedale also has a hack whereas the sony requires an upgrade. All in all I could live with the roughness of the wharfedale (ie plastic looks and crap interface and remote) at the price. Saying that if I had my money back I would still spend the same, simply not on the sony.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    You have shocked me.
    After reading the review of the sony 735, I thought it sounded like a great player, I was also contemplating buying this player in the near future.
    I have the sony 315 r2 only, the very first player they brought out, and I can honestly say I have not had a problem with any disc's, apart from Lost in space at the layer change.
    It even deals with all the disc's which contain cdrom content with no trouble.
    But then again it's got crap picture in composite and s-vhs, and the sound is not to good on cd's.
    cheers maybe I should think about getting the wharfdale
    thank's again
    Tim

------------------
    Yehaa Chester's Dead

6. johnrm

johnrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't believe all the reviews you read! Even HCC get it wrong! Case and point...
    They review the ALBA 103 - and give it a good rating, I had one and they're crap! I dumped it in favour of a Panasonic RV20, and I think its great! (HCC rated it as mediocre)
    I think a lot of the time the reviewers are expressing their own opinion, which is not necessarily a good thing!
    Also, look at the Total DVD review of the Yelo800 - lots of pi$$ed off punters there!

7. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a wharfedale 750 and so far its been great. the only disc ive had a problem with was a r1 copy of the 10th kingdom.

I agree with nunew the sony does have a slightly better picture and the sound quality is negligable if your linking it to an external digital amp.

but if your on a budget you will be hard pressed to find anything quite a good as the wharfedale on performance, true its not the most pleasing dvd to look at but hey its ony £180.

saying all that if anyone wants to swap for a sony then let me know.

cheers

Roj

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I have decided to go for a sony 335 multi region from techtronics £280.
    Thanks everybody for the help

Tim

------------------
    Somebody's poisoned the waterhole.