1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whaqt about this as a Home Cinema PC set up..any good.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by brad123, Jul 1, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Abit BD7-RAID Motherboard, ATA 133 £94
    Intel Pentium 4 1.6 GHz 512 Cache "Northwood" £124
    Enermax 350w Whisper Quiet Power Supply £57
    64Mb ATI Radeon 7200 £60
    256MB DDR Ram £29
    Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM £101
    Toshiba IDE DVD SD-M1612 £51
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 £150
    Midi Tower case £29
    Irman Serial Infrared sensor £25
    3.5 "Floppy Disk Drive £25
    Power DVD XP

Is it any good for the Panasonic PTAE100. I believe it will be at the higher end of HCPC's yes???

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That should do the job fine. Basically you`ve got to ask yourself what you want from the PC. If its just to play dvds and watch tv on, then your spec may be a little over the top, but if you want an all round machine, then its fine. If you want it to be quiet, then you need to think more about cooling issues, no good having a quiet power supply if your processor fan is noisy. similar with case fans. Look out for pabst (or papst) fans, or vantec stealth. personally I`m going as quiet as I can get, so I`m going to replace the PSU fan with a papst, and get a quiet radial fin cooler from www.pcsilent.de. Expensive I know, but then I`m cutting back on processing power and only getting a 900Mhz duron, and a fairly cheap motherboard.
    For quiet hard drives think about the seagate barracuda IV, which is supposed to be the quietest drive around (nearly silent) and isn`t too expensive. The liteon 163 dvd drive is also supposed to be quietest in class.

The stuff you have there is definitely high end, but ask yourself do I need that much power. An Audiophile sound card is only useful if you have a decent sound system to hear it on. Personally I`m going with a philips rythmic edge, which has an spdif out on board, which is all I need really (although there are endless discussions about whether spdif output quality affects the sound).

Also consider getting a IR keyboard instead of the IRman, although I haven`t researched the differences too much yet.

Finally, might be best to get the demos for all of the dvd players and find which one works best on your new system, before deciding which to go for.

Hope this helps, its all from my intensive research on the subject, without much actual practical use (yet). Waiting to see if my job is safe before I plump for my ptae100 :(

Chris

ps, what about a tv capture card? IDS falcon for high end, or pinnacle rave and DScaler for cheap option.